Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
Default

Panasonic has some new models coming out:

http://vftr.panasonic.co.jp/en/searc...p;q=avchd+lite

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...tz7/index.html

They have something called AVCHD Lite. (Some support MJPEG too, but that seems like an afterthought, since it can record hours in AVCHD and like minutes in MJPEG, using a large SDHC card.)
TheSkillionaire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

It seems that finally the Panasonic Lumix are moving to a h264 based format (as are Canon with their digital cameras although they seem to be using a regular h264 format and standard definition except the SX1). I see they record stereo as well. It's about time that digital cameras started being equipped with stereo mics.

The MPJEG isn't an afterthought, that is what they normally use. I guess like Casio, the cheaper models will probably continue to use MJPEG.
rgvcam is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
Default

When I say afterthought, I mean that one one of the pages (and I will exagerate some) it was like:

AVCHD 32Gig Card 56 Hours.
MJPEF 32Gig Card 20 minutes.



rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
It seems that finally the Panasonic Lumix are moving to a h264 based format (as are Canon with their digital cameras although they seem to be using a regular h264 format and standard definition except the SX1). I see they record stereo as well. It's about time that digital cameras started being equipped with stereo mics.

The MPJEG isn't an afterthought, that is what they normally use. I guess like Casio, the cheaper models will probably continue to use MJPEG.
TheSkillionaire is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

"Max. recording time depends on Memory Card Capacity.
A max. of approx. 2 GB of continuous motion picture can be recorded in Motion JPEG. In AVCHD Lite, recording may be continued until the card is full.
"

Well at least it looks like they don't limit the recording time to 30 minutes or less which makes this camera far more attractive.
rgvcam is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:40 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
Default

My point, why is there a limit at all?

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
"Max. recording time depends on Memory Card Capacity.
A max. of approx. 2 GB of continuous motion picture can be recorded in Motion JPEG. In AVCHD Lite, recording may be continued until the card is full.
"

Well at least it looks like they don't limit the recording time to 30 minutes or less which makes this camera far more attractive.
TheSkillionaire is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
My point, why is there a limit at all?

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
"Max. recording time depends on Memory Card Capacity.
A max. of approx. 2 GB of continuous motion picture can be recorded in Motion JPEG. In AVCHD Lite, recording may be continued until the card is full.
"

Well at least it looks like they don't limit the recording time to 30 minutes or less which makes this camera far more attractive.
It is to do with taxation class in Europe. Any device capable of recording more than 30 minutes is considered to be a camcorder and subject to a higher tax. The reason it affects models in the USA as well seems to be that the manufacturers don't want to make two different versions for some reason.

Maybe it's partly to prevent those making their way back to Europe, who knows? So the rest of us suffer.
rgvcam is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:40 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
Default

Ok, now that answer I understand, as lame as it is.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And I thought the USA taxes were lame.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"They should make two versions. (I do a lot of 60 minute intreviews and this MJPEG with a 32G card would be perfect, traveling and all.)
TheSkillionaire is offline  
Old May 12, 2009, 8:03 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default

I've heard great things about the camera but I'm curious how you can offload and edit the video without hooking the camera to the tv or computer. I had read somewhere the new AVCHD format isn't the easiest to deal with when working off the SD cards. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.
mdezrin is offline  
Old May 12, 2009, 1:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
adalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denmarkian
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdezrin View Post
I've heard great things about the camera but I'm curious how you can offload and edit the video without hooking the camera to the tv or computer. I had read somewhere the new AVCHD format isn't the easiest to deal with when working off the SD cards. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.
Hi mdezrin,

The best way to edit the AVCHD Lite(or any other format) clips, is to have them transferred to your PC's harddrive. This done either by transferring through USB 2.0 cable or using the SD card in a cardreader. Working with files either in the camera or on the SD card in a cardreader is basically too slow. Also be sure that your PC can handle AVCHD files. Now this newer but lower spec. version of AVCHD with "Lite" added, doesn't need that as much pc power as regular AVCHD.

Last edited by adalfa; May 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM.
adalfa is offline  
Old May 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks for the reply. I had heard there were issues editing and working with this new format. I'll try and find where I read it so I can be more specific.

Are you aware of any inherent issues with the format? What tools do you use?

Lastly, what do I need to do or look into for my pc to handle the format? I have Windows XP Pro with 1.5 GB memory. I can get the appropriate software. I primarily use Picassa for photos. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time.
mdezrin is offline  
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:47 AM.