Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Closed Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:50 PM   #1

Panasonic has some new models coming out:

http://vftr.panasonic.co.jp/en/searc...p;q=avchd+lite

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...tz7/index.html

They have something called AVCHD Lite. (Some support MJPEG too, but that seems like an afterthought, since it can record hours in AVCHD and like minutes in MJPEG, using a large SDHC card.)
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2

It seems that finally the Panasonic Lumix are moving to a h264 based format (as are Canon with their digital cameras although they seem to be using a regular h264 format and standard definition except the SX1). I see they record stereo as well. It's about time that digital cameras started being equipped with stereo mics.

The MPJEG isn't an afterthought, that is what they normally use. I guess like Casio, the cheaper models will probably continue to use MJPEG.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:49 PM   #3

When I say afterthought, I mean that one one of the pages (and I will exagerate some) it was like:

AVCHD 32Gig Card 56 Hours.
MJPEF 32Gig Card 20 minutes.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
It seems that finally the Panasonic Lumix are moving to a h264 based format (as are Canon with their digital cameras although they seem to be using a regular h264 format and standard definition except the SX1). I see they record stereo as well. It's about time that digital cameras started being equipped with stereo mics.

The MPJEG isn't an afterthought, that is what they normally use. I guess like Casio, the cheaper models will probably continue to use MJPEG.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:50 AM   #4

"Max. recording time depends on Memory Card Capacity.
A max. of approx. 2 GB of continuous motion picture can be recorded in Motion JPEG. In AVCHD Lite, recording may be continued until the card is full.
"

Well at least it looks like they don't limit the recording time to 30 minutes or less which makes this camera far more attractive.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:40 PM   #5

My point, why is there a limit at all?

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
A max. of approx. 2 GB of continuous motion picture can be recorded in Motion JPEG. In AVCHD Lite, recording may be continued until the card is full.
"

Well at least it looks like they don't limit the recording time to 30 minutes or less which makes this camera far more attractive.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:56 PM   #6

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
My point, why is there a limit at all?

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
"

It is to do with taxation class in Europe. Any device capable of recording more than 30 minutes is considered to be a camcorder and subject to a higher tax. The reason it affects models in the USA as well seems to be that the manufacturers don't want to make two different versions for some reason.

Maybe it's partly to prevent those making their way back to Europe, who knows? So the rest of us suffer.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:40 PM   #7

Ok, now that answer I understand, as lame as it is.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And I thought the USA taxes were lame.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"They should make two versions. (I do a lot of 60 minute intreviews and this MJPEG with a 32G card would be perfect, traveling and all.)
Old May 12, 2009, 8:03 AM   #8

I've heard great things about the camera but I'm curious how you can offload and edit the video without hooking the camera to the tv or computer. I had read somewhere the new AVCHD format isn't the easiest to deal with when working off the SD cards. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.
Old May 12, 2009, 1:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdezrin View Post
I've heard great things about the camera but I'm curious how you can offload and edit the video without hooking the camera to the tv or computer. I had read somewhere the new AVCHD format isn't the easiest to deal with when working off the SD cards. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.
Hi mdezrin,

The best way to edit the AVCHD Lite(or any other format) clips, is to have them transferred to your PC's harddrive. This done either by transferring through USB 2.0 cable or using the SD card in a cardreader. Working with files either in the camera or on the SD card in a cardreader is basically too slow. Also be sure that your PC can handle AVCHD files. Now this newer but lower spec. version of AVCHD with "Lite" added, doesn't need that as much pc power as regular AVCHD.

Last edited by adalfa; May 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply. I had heard there were issues editing and working with this new format. I'll try and find where I read it so I can be more specific.

Are you aware of any inherent issues with the format? What tools do you use?

Lastly, what do I need to do or look into for my pc to handle the format? I have Windows XP Pro with 1.5 GB memory. I can get the appropriate software. I primarily use Picassa for photos. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time.

Closed Thread