Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1

From another post:

I have been reading TONNES about the Jazz 178 (especially by Fishycomics) and have gone and bought one.

It is sweet to use, but I am dumbfounded as to how to view the video from the camera on my PC.

Generally I am pretty good with this stuff and understand file extensions and all of that, but for some odd reason I cannot get the videos to open with any video from the DCMI file (all I get is audio). This is opening with Quicktime.

My other problem is Movie Maker will not open it either. It opens photos, but does not do so for video.

Am I missing a step or doing something wrong.

PLEASE HELP so I can play with this gem of a camera.

Sorry if this is a repeated thread within this topic

Heffe
Heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:50 PM   #2

load software.

1 win moviemaker is not H264 friendly. convert to a format that accepts the file.

I have gotten the avi h264 to work and to crash.

to play you need the proper software done.

sorry that was taken off the GVS model gotta love perfection

Heffe wrote:

Quote:
From another post:

I have been reading TONNES about the Jazz 178 (especially by Fishycomics) and have gone and bought one.

It is sweet to use, but I am dumbfounded as to how to view the video from the camera on my PC.

Generally I am pretty good with this stuff and understand file extensions and all of that, but for some odd reason I cannot get the videos to open with any video from the DCMI file (all I get is audio). This is opening with Quicktime.

My other problem is Movie Maker will not open it either. It opens photos, but does not do so for video.

Heffe
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:13 PM   #3

Okay. I do have the software loaded, but i didnt realize that there were different forms of AVI.

H264 is avi.........correct?

Do you have a suggested alternate conversion format to suggest that would work with Movie Maker that I can convert to?

Thanks for the help

Heffe

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
load software.

1 win moviemaker is not H264 friendly. convert to a format that accepts the file.

I have gotten the avi h264 to work and to crash.

to play you need the proper software done.

sorry that was taken off the GVS model gotta love perfection

Heffe wrote:

Quote:
From another post:

Heffe
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:10 PM   #4

h264 is acodec

Wmm is OLD never made to acceptH264.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:37 PM   #5

Heffe wrote:
Quote:

Do you have a suggested alternate conversion format to suggest that would work with Movie Maker that I can convert to?
AVI is a video container which can contain different codecs. Windows movie maker will import mpeg1 & 2 as well as uncompressed AVI format. It will also import Windows Media Format. So just convert your video to any of these and it will work. I just use the freeware Super from www.erightsoft.com to do this.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:22 PM   #6

Thanks rgvcam.

Since you use Super, can you explain the 3 tabs at the top of the program:

1) Select the Output Container
2) Select the Output Video Codec
3) Select the Output Audio Codec

If you were doing what I need to do (ie: convert the avi H264 to an mpeg 1 or 2, what would you select in each of the 3 tabs to make this happen).

I selected the following :
1) AVI fpr the Output Container
2) MPEG 1 for the output video codec
3) mp3 for output audio codec

Clicked encode active files after dropping in the multimedia file. From there it rendered a file as a SPF file.
Sound correct ??

If so, how do I use the SPF file as it just reopens in Super but I need to use this with Window Movie Maker.

I know it may sound like a dumb question, but I need to ask it because I am totally stumped, and I feel so close..........

Thanks for the help

Heffe

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Heffe wrote:
Quote:

AVI is a video container which can contain different codecs. Windows movie maker will import mpeg1 & 2 as well as uncompressed AVI format. It will also import Windows Media Format. So just convert your video to any of these and it will work. I just use the freeware Super from http://www.erightsoft.com to do this.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:25 PM   #7

Not sure how you got an 'SPF' file? I have never run across that in Super. AVI should produce a file with a .avi extension.

Unfortunately it can be quite confusing as there can be many combinations of output container combined with Video/audio codec.

Having said that, there are certain 'official' combinations which are best to use. For instance with mpeg 1 it is best to choose 'mpg' as the output container and mpeg-1 as the video codec along with mp2 as the audio codec. This ensures that any software that is expecting a certain mpeg standard file will always work.

You could even choose a preset such as 'mpg VCD Compliant' which will create an mpeg-1 file that has the correct settings for a Video CD should you ever use it for that. Even though this is no longer needed in this time of cheap DVD burners and media, it can be used to great effect for converting youtube videos to be played on a regular portable DVD player since the original youtube video (non HD) is about the same quality as VCD and therefore no point in using a higher bitrate, plus it allows you to use a regular CD/and or fit a ton of them on a DVD!

For just producing a format to import into Windows Movie Maker, you can experiment a bit. MPEG2 files produce higher quality than MPEG1 and Windows Media format uses a variant of MPEG4 which is much nearer the compression of the Jazz camera which uses h264, itself an improved MPEG4 variant.

If you are just wanting to create DVD's then you just create a windows media file with a 4-5000kbps bitrate. Select wmv as output container and leave it as WMV8 and wma for video and audio codecs since windows movie maker seems to reencode even if you import mpeg2 files anyway.

If you just want to convert video clips without making a movie and your dvd player supports a file explorer function, you could just use the presets ie VCD, SVCD etc and burn the files direct to a DVD to play.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:09 PM   #8

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Not sure how you got an 'SPF' file? I have never run across that in Super. AVI should produce a file with a .avi extension. ME NEITHER

Unfortunately it can be quite confusing as there can be many combinations of output container combined with Video/audio codec.

Having said that, there are certain 'official' combinations which are best to use. For instance with mpeg 1 it is best to choose 'mpg' as the output container and mpeg-1 as the video codec along with mp2 as the audio codec. This ensures that any software that is expecting a certain mpeg standard file will always work.

If you are just wanting to create DVD's then you just create a windows media file with a 4-5000kbps bitrate. Select wmv as output container and leave it as WMV8 and wma for video and audio codecs since windows movie maker seems to reencode even if you import mpeg2 files anyway.

rgvcam

Super worked........once....... for an wmv conversion. I am thinking I was not paying attention to the fine tune settings (ie: bitrate) as each time I have tried it since, the end product looks like a video of an old TV with the Horizontal setting out of whack.

Is there a specific setting in wmv that I should be paying attention to. Above you mentioned 4-5000 bitrate which I tried with no luck.

Thanks for your continued help

Heffe