Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:45 PM   #1

Greetings Everyone:

Which pocket camcorder would be the best to use as Webcam?

Is there a Pocket Camcorder that can be used as webcam streaming at
1280 X 720 video quality?

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:23 AM   #2

I'm not aware of anyhybrids with firewire.
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:10 AM   #3

of course the Jazz or isignia

is a webcam but not yet in the resolution you're requesting?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:58 PM   #4

The Jazz/Insignia have firewire or are you talking USB webcam?

Firewire would be better. (Then again, it's hard to find anything with firewire nowadays unless you are talking about miniDV.)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:16 PM   #5

Why bother? Logitech already has a 720p streaming video webcam and it uses USB 2.0. USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough, no need for firewire.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:29 PM   #6

Firewire can send more data than USB, so your image would be better, and it all depends on what you want to do with your footage.

You could do a conference that later you put on DVD/Blu-Ray, so the better the source footage.... ...
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:29 AM   #7

I see no difference with my eyes LOL I see more controls being used through firewire.

I see jackingthe price up on this low budget cam. but I am sure somehow it can be bypased the HDMI port. and I was not referringto firewire when posted :lol:
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:03 AM   #8

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Firewire can send more data than USB, so your image would be better, and it all depends on what you want to do with your footage.

You could do a conference that later you put on DVD/Blu-Ray, so the better the source footage.... ...
Most Camcorders aare still limited to the old firewire standard of 400Mbps so USB 2.0 is easily a match at 480Mbps. My external harddrives are all USB 2.0 not firewire and they work just fine for video.

There is such a thing as overkill. It's the same thinking whereusers think that by getting a highspeed card, that a device doesn't need, it will somehow improve performance.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Why bother? Logitech already has a 720p streaming video webcam and it uses USB 2.0. USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough, no need for firewire.
Yeah, but I bet you anything it uses a CMOS sensor and suffers from rolling shutter. Pretty much 100% of webcams have now moved to CMOS technology, even the high-end ones.

However, I must admit I was surprised at the quality of the built-in camera on my new iMac. It records 1.3 MP at 30 fps and the actual image quality is excellent. No barrel distortion, very good dynamic range on the luminance, and just overall exceptional quality for a webcam. And I didn't even realize it hada webcamuntil I brought the machine home and took it out of the box.

The Sanyo CG6 sucks as a webcam because it only supports 320x240 mode and it is impossible to have a USB cable and a tripod connected at the same time.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Most Camcorders aare still limited to the old firewire standard of 400Mbps so USB 2.0 is easily a match at 480Mbps. My external harddrives are all USB 2.0 not firewire and they work just fine for video.

There is such a thing as overkill. It's the same thinking whereusers think that by getting a highspeed card, that a device doesn't need, it will somehow improve performance.
Well, I can definately attest that firewire harddrives do perform better than USB 2.0. We did some extensive tests at work a few weeks ago to determine just that because we were trying to determine if the next batch of external harddrives we bought should be firewire or USB. I hooked up the drive to several machines and performed read/write tests on a 10 GB file. I determined that firewire was about 20% faster than USB 2.0 in pretty much all of the tests.

And in regards to the "highspeed card" comment.. well, that turned out to be surprising. We bought a 64-bit PCIfirewire card for our fileserver, in hopes to improve performance on the external drives and reduce CPU load. Well, after extensive before and after tests, we found the $15 regular PCI card we had before actually out-performed the $100 fancy 64-bit card by about 10%. I still haven't figured that one out. I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised that much if there had been no difference, but for the cheap card to out-perform was unexpected.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote