Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1

I was in Target last night and noticed that the only Aiptek product they have on the shelves now is a whole bunch of IS-DV2.4's they are selling for $99 a piece. I've never used the 2.4 version, but I'm told it is more or less the same video quality as the regular ISDV-2 line just with a larger, swivel screen.

It is hard for me to fathom that anyone would pay $99 for that when your same $99 would get youa camera that could do so much more. Heck, even my parents just bought a new Canon digital camera and I had to try out the movie mode. It records in 640x480, but the image quality and frame-rate are so far above the IS-DV2 that it isn't even funny and the camera only costed like $110. Plus you get an optical zoom, a flash that actually works when you want it to, and a CCD.

When will the old legacy products die?
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2

Because there are enough people who don't do any research and will still buy them.

Talking of this kind of thing, I still see at the checkout a Dane-Electric USB 128MB flash key for something like 5 bucks. Seems really cheap until you realize that for a few bucks more you can get can a nice 1GB drive even in the same store!

I just had a quick search online at Target and it's even worse, they list 32MB drives for $9.99!! Insane. Well you know what P T Barnum said...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3

Keep in mind there are still people who will buy the older models because:
- they collect these cameras
- for kids
- to try them out
- they want a cheap version
- they can't afford more
- the quality is good enough for what they want.

If I had the right purpose for it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Aiptek DV4500, for instance. It's still a neat camera with an excellent microphone and mp3 system. I bought a similar camera for my young child a couple of years ago. I actually think it's nice that these cameras are such good designs that they are still being manufactured and sold 5 years after they were introduced. I don't think the same can be said about typical digital cameras.

We also don't want those people with simpler hybrids to feel unwelcome here. Many of them will get interested in fancier ones.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 1:19 AM   #4

sgspirit,

I don't think the complaint adric22 was making, was that they should stop them just because they are old hat, but more that they continue to be sold at a price often not much below what you could get a more recent model for!

Having said that, I noticed on Aiptek.com they seem to have finally dropped the price on these models such that you can get the ISDV2 for just $39.99! At that price I would thoroughly recommend it. Where else can you get a camera that records in MPEG4 VGA for that kind of money! I'd also recommend the original IS-DV for $49.99, the camera that first introduced me to these type of cameras.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:33 AM   #5

You're right, that was his main point. And it's true that when I see people selling these older models on eBay for as much $$ as they cost when they were the current best cams, it seems the sellers are being optimistic, or they are benefitting from some uninformed buyers.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:05 PM   #6

Sgspirit, Yes.. I think RGVCam already pointed out the error in your post, but to elaborate a little bit.. Yes, I agree with every point you made in your list. The only difference is, all of those items are null and void when we're talking about $99 or more for these things. When you can buy them used or refurb for $39 or so, then that is acceptable. THe trouble is, I've actually seen Aiptek A-HDs for sale at Target for the same price they are now selling the IS-DV2.

My guess is they had a warehouse full of them somewhere and decided to sell them to Target. I would certainly hope they aren't still producing them.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:35 AM   #7

If you search for the original cams on eBay, there often are lots of sources of ones listed as "new". Are these all leftovers, or are they still in production? I mentioned the Aiptek DV4500. It would be interesting to know if it's still being made.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:00 AM   #8

shop.com

target

price grabber

When Will the IS-DV2 die out?

When the IS-DV2 introduced itself, only Target had the nerve to sell it at $130.00, yes 129.99 for tax purposes. And Dropped it on sale for $99.99, and at times spiked on sale for $88.00.

I was one of those who had to have one, but knew that the IS-DV2.4 was the better model. that cam released soon after.

So when will the IS-DV2 die?

I will say this, mustek the dv 3500, 4000, 4500 are OLD models, and still sell today, they even Modernized the style. I believe this cam is 11 years old.

Mustek purchase

price runner

so when will it die?

Sorry to say will be a All time seller for the younger generation.

I would get the Aiptek IS-DV2.4 or Mustek DV4500, I preferre mustek, but the Aiptek got the swivel screen. Endless Fun.............

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote