Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:27 PM   #11

Firmware does separate the Hd D10 and the DXG 595v. As for who really make all these clones, "my guess and only a guess" isGlobal Tech. or Shenzhen Eastbell. I have not had time to look into the PC cam part yet, But if I find anything out i will post on this thread. take a look at Magix Edit Pro 14 about $39 or Magix Pro 14 Plus about $59great programs
Separate
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:43 AM   #12

Shenzen is the company that brands the Vivitai if I remember right from their site. I'll look in a mo.
DaddySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:30 PM   #13

Here is a new one to look at the HiD 8Z

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...DV_Camera.html
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:16 PM   #14

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
You'll find the GVS/Z700 is a good day time ONLY camcorder

I like it, and at times¬* have my issues with it. I have not yet done my review, till I find the time when all is perfect:G

there are¬*¬* limits to the cam, and additional info when firmware of the correct choice.. for the Money¬* not sure¬* others be willing to have just a cam.
So the 596 is a better camera then the GVS, as far as footage quality goes? How does the firmware improve the situation?

Thanks.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:24 PM   #15

NuttySquirrel wrote:
Quote:
After playing with settings, I found in the "setup menu" the flicker frequency was set to 50 Hz, I live in the USA, so¬*I changed to the correct setting of 60 Hz and the low light condition changed? The camera¬*went from poor to acceptable, to¬*maybe even good! I don't have much to compare it beside a few camcorders that I have owned or used.¬*This camera is now 50%¬*better or more, in a¬*low light condition than my older Aiptek Action HD
Hmm, I have a HSHD, and might have noticed something strange when filming in lowlight (well lit household room). Maybe it has something to do with changing this.

One thing to note: Lights are getting extra bright by using RGB like coloring to produce white (tri color for one) which our eyes are most sensitive too. Because of the frequency range of colors they use they look brighter for the same power, but I wonder if they look duller to the camera. Another thing is that limiting the frequencies of light also makes the color of objects look different and duller (some brighter) depending on how little they match those frequencies. What this means is that fluorescent and led lit rooms might look more dull and noisy than another similarly lit room. So it pays to have good low light and lighting to compensate. It also pays to avoid sensors with less than ideal color masks.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 2:15 PM   #16

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:

So the 596 is a better camera then the GVS, as far as footage quality goes? How does the firmware improve the situation?

Thanks.
I still have not decided yet, it such a toss-up . One day after veiwing the videos I wil like one more than the other. The next batch of videos it changes. I do like the bitrates of HD D10 better, but I like the AutoFocus Lock on the Z700. And I HATE my up-loads on to Vimeo and YouTube. At times there is a 50% loss in sharpness and clarity.As for the firmware,I have not changed my yet. I was kind of following Fishycomics and jo7878 on that issue. With firmware in the past I have always had the best luck with just sticking to the newest vers. so I will end up with ver.2402 in the camera, unless I see something that changes my mind. It still haves the factory loaded ver. in the camera for more testing between the too. I felt that it should stay that way,I wanted to testing between the HD D10 and the Z700 to be "out of the box test" no mods, just like if you gave one of these cameras to your 69 year old mom for a present. when I do some firmware testing at the end of next week, I will let you know. I'm still trying to get firmware ver.1904 from Gignox.

Thank you for your questions, Brian
Old Mar 8, 2009, 2:41 PM   #17

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:

One thing to note: Lights are getting extra bright by using RGB like coloring to produce white (tri color for one) which our eyes are most sensitive too. Because of the frequency range fo colors they use they look brighter for the same power, but I wonder if they look duller to the camera. Another thing is that limiting the frequencies of light also makes the color of objects look different and duller (some brighter) depending on how little they match those frequencies. What this means is that fluorescent and led lit rooms might look more dull and noisy than another similarly lit room. So it pays to have good low light and lighting to compensate. It also pays to avoid sensors with less than ideal color masks.
You are right! I never even thought of that and I do "Outdoor Lighting" for a living. the colors have changed in the last several years on the indoor lighting. I have some "old school" photograghy flood lamps and I have noticed the the HD D10 likes them and Z700 does not. The Z700 loves the sun, not just light.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:04 AM   #18

Thanks.

That could indicate a different way of the camera handling the light source, but may indicate a different color mask. Complimentary color masks would like the situation the best, but they have the most color problems. The JVC color mask on their old HD1 had one of the best complimentary, as it was really a hybrid between RGB and complimentary with a clear pixel, and Kodak has been using an RGB plus one clear pixel (most sensitive).

Altogether, better sensors without complimentary color is probably the best. Complimentary masks are best for strange coloring mistakes (wash out, maybe strange whiteout, wrong color balance and wrong colors, for instance green match flames on the old JVC HD1). The JVC GR3000, and JVC HD1/HD10 are one of the few cameras that I knew that did a descent Job in those days (the greater resolution of the GR3000 had multiple pixel sites for each screen pixel downscaling to even lower res 4:2:0 color resolution.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:28 AM   #19

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks.

Kodak has been using an RGB plus one clear pixel (most sensitive).
Is this true for the KodakZ1012? I have one and do like it. Not bad video for $200. If kodak would add 60fps onto the 720p video mode, In my opinon, that camera would be an over all better buy than the HD D10 and the Z700.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:19 AM   #20

They probably use bayer or their bayer alternative (more recent). If there is not a 60fps model presently available ther will probably be. They however have a 60fps h264 model based on the ambarella chip I think.

If it is better than the 700 I don't know, the 600 GVS displayed some problems and I don't know if they cured it. The DXG 596 is worth looking at. I have seen footage from Kodaks I was not impressed with, codec wise ambarella probably has it on quality per mb/s, but few have 720p30 even at 6 or 9mb/s.