Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:48 AM   #1

Well I finally bought a Canon Vixia HF100 after reading good reviews saying it is probably one of the best AVCHD cameras out thereand seeing how trevmar was very enthusiastic about it

Even though it arrived during the week I only got a chance to test it today in a local park. When I get a decent video clip I like I'll post it to vimeo. As you only get one HD videoper month, I need to make it count :lol:

Magix video Pro seems to import it ok and I can export it but it doesn't seem to play properly in the video preview even on low resolution. It's not my PC's processing ability as the clips play fine in VLC Player now and on Pixellas own ImageMixer Player (which works fine in Vista 64). I wonder if anyone else has imported AVCHD into Magix and it plays on the preview ok?

I do, however, seem to be able to edit the video in Magix. Eventually I may just convert my clips to a different format and reload to edit that way.

While the software is still maturing I'll just archive my HD video, while converting them to DVD's for family viewing as needed until as such time we get a bluray player for viewing on a HDTV.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:37 AM   #2

poor excuse RGVCAM, you get One Video per WEEK:G, if a month I bee !

And I know what will be in it, so please make it interesting :-)

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Even though it arrived during the week I only got a chance to test it today in a local park. When I get a decent video clip I like I'll post it to vimeo. As you only get one HD videoper month, I need to make it count :lol:

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
It's not my PC's processing ability
The codec used in Magix, and the multitasking used, are the limiting factors here. I found that the Vegas preview window would only show AVCHD at the lowest resolution, and that is why I convert all my video to CineForm before processing. In addition to pulling-down the AVCHD to 24p, CineForm converts to a wavelet compression format which is extremely fast to decompress. There are things in AVC H264 which really slow down decompression. VLC gets around some of them by "skipping" "safe" decode steps, which IMO, is a band-aid at best.

I just downloaded the new CoreAVC which can use the CUDA on recent NVIDIA video cards to decompress AVC video. I just went to a seminar at Stanford on CUDA, so I know this should work very well. Haven't been bothered to try it yet, though, CineForm is working just right for me now...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:54 PM   #4

I sent an email to Magix support and it seems that the plus version of Magix is the only one to support AVCHD even though their website is a bit vague on this. I guess I'll have to trial it. I sent an email to see if I could get some sort of upgrade discount otherwise I'll just buy it off amazon if it works.

Oh I tried to do a basic edit of the video in magix by cutting off the front of the movide and exported it. The export file didn't work at all whereas if i didn't edit it, it would be ok, so I guess I need to trial the plus version. I'll find a way :-)
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:22 PM   #5

Try Power director, http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_4_ENU.html

I found it great with AVCHD it plays cuts and previews in realtime without any problems whereas Magix tends to pause and stutter a lot (I have Magix 14 Edit Pro Plus), I use this with my Sony SR10but still useMagic with my .mov based Digilife1080 as it runs mov's better than PD.
Wowcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:36 PM   #6

Wowcow wrote:
Quote:
Try Power director, http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_4_ENU.html

I found it great with AVCHD it plays cuts and previews in realtime without any problems whereas Magix tends to pause and stutter a lot (I have Magix 14 Edit Pro Plus), I use this with my Sony SR10but still useMagic with my .mov based Digilife1080 as it runs mov's better than PD.
Thanks, I will definitely try this one out. Seems they have a trial version I can try out later.

Update: Magix support said that if I have stuttering in the no plus version then plus probably wouldn't help and therefore to wait until MEP 15 plus comes out at the end of the month as the HD engine has been rewritten taking core changes from their professional product Video Pro X.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:06 AM   #7

It seems that the HF100 records everything in a 60i container which means video file info programs such as mediainfo you cannot show whether a file was recorded in 30p or 60i.