Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:39 PM   #1

Hi all and greetings from Portugal!

I'm very interested in buying a camera that allows me to shoot some good clips of my daughter fooling around and, at the same time, that allows me to shoot some skiing down the slopes rides.
So, I believe either the Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2000 or Xacti HD1010 would do the trick but what I don't know is if I should go for HD200 that is a little bit more expensive (naturally..).
I've found the HD2000 for about 515€ (http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1....ProductID=7459) and the HD1010 for about 415€ (http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1....ProductID=5620).

I believe that they both would be fine because I've seen some snow footage at Youtube made with the HD1010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzLkB8KOtxs) and I liked a lot... but, then again, I'm not an expert in this matter.

There is still an much affordable option: Toshiba P30.
I found it online for about 170€ (http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/TOSDVC11) wich is an enormous difference of price.
I liked the sample that an italian posted here but, at the same time, I didn't like the blur during the zooming process.

So, what I would ask you is: if money were not an issue, wich one should I buy?

Thanks a lot for you attention!

Best regrads!

PS: Hope the links came out ok! I didn't find buttons to insert a link. Anyway, this is my first post here... :-)
plisboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:39 PM   #2

I would pick the HD2000, itoffers five regular video shooting modes. , the top setting operates at 60 progressive frames per second and 1,920 x 1,080 Full HD at 24Mbits/sec. The HD1010 top mode is 1080i at 60fps ([Full-HD]: 1920 x 1080 (60fields/s,14Mbps), the HD1000 Full-HD 1920 x 1080 (60 fields/s 12Mbps). the HD200 has a lot better data rate the the older moldel. My cheap HD D10 will do 12-13Mbps on 1080p mode, so the HD1000 has a vey poor "Mbps" for its price range. These cameras do use a "fixed" bitrate system instead of a variable bitrate system, like found in the budget camcoders (HD D10, Aiptek,DXG)A fixed set-up is better.Several people claim that the HD2000 does better in low lighting than the past models, but it still uses a CMOS sensor and there are other brands in the same price range using CCD sensors, but most of them are a "camcoders" style camera not a "Hybrid" style like the Sanyo. Sony does make the "handycam" which is a 1080p CCD Hybrid style camera, about $599 us dollars.So isthe HD2000worth the extra money over the past two models? Yes, in my "opinion" it is.the HD2000 claims to be a "true" 1080p (progressive scan)camera, while the HD1000 is an 1080i (interlaced scaning) camera...Is it the best camera in its price range, I would keep reading.Please remember that with a camera taking video at 1080p in MEPG 4 H.264 needs a QuadCore @2.66mhz, 4GB of Ram and a "high-end add-on" video cardcomputer in order to process the video with out error or program crashes and the dreeded BSOD/Blue Screen Of Death (operating system crash) People are way to quick to blame the program or camera, its 99% of the time the computer.

here is a link to a reveiw I found: http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcorders/review/2009/01/31/Sanyo-Xacti-VPC-HD2000/p1

Mbps/Bitrate: usually the higher the the number is,the better the video quality is in theory

1080i vs 1080p: this is the way it has been explained to me, so I could be wrong.

1080i (interlaced only scans every other line in the video, firmware and the imaging processorfill in the missing peices (imploded) While 1080p scans all lines to start with. Several people will say that 1080i quality is no better than a ture 720p
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:53 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for such a complete answer!!!
Besides this HD2000 (and disregarding the Sony) is there any other alternatives that can capture HD with this kind of shape? And on an SDHC card... of course...

I don't want a camera with the traditional shape because I will be skiing with it and this shape seems perfect for it LOL

Last question if I may... the recording speed of the SD card is very important, right? I should prefer buying less capacity to faster data recording speed, right?

As to processing the video afterwards... that shouldn't be a problem. I have professional editing hardware and software at work. Several PC's with Edius software and 4 (or 6...) RAID discs able to live capture and simultanious edditing:-)

Thaks again!!!

Best regards!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:16 PM   #4

plisboa, let me do some morelooking around and i will post something tomorrow
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:35 AM   #5

Sorry forgot to answer the question about SD cards. You are right "the recording speed of the SD card is very important, right? I should prefer buying less capacity to faster data recording speed, right?" In 1080p with the higher bitrates you will want a faster card. you will also want to buy a "name brand" card as well. PNY cards are not know for the performance in 1080p mode. For high end cards would be the ScanDisk Extreme III Series 2 card, speed 200x class (6), they are about $40 us dollars for 4GB, ScanDisk Extreme III Series 1, speed 150x class (6), they are about $22 us dollras for 4GB. Than there is a very good "name brand"budget card, the OCZ Gold Series. 150x class(6) and they are only $10 us dollars for 4GB. the main reason why you want such a powerful "name band"card is toguarantee error free transfer of data when filming. All 1080p camcorders even the budget ones likeZ700 and the HD D10 require at least a class(6) card

Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:10 AM   #6

Excellent tips!
I will look for those SC cards from OCZ. Until now I've only found them at american online stores, which brings me a problem at portuguese customs.

Anyway, I will continue looking for them in european stores!!!
And I'm sure I will find them!:G
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:11 PM   #7

whats is the problemwith Portuguese customs? I can't seem to find the card anywhere in european stores or on ebay.co.uk
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:59 AM   #8

the problem are the taxes applied to products bought outside Europe... we pay a lot for them here... That's why I wouldn' buy the camera from Honk Kong, where it is SO MUCH cheapper...

But no worrys... if it isn't from that brand, it will bo from another brand.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:10 PM   #9

plisboa wrote:
Quote:
Hi all and greetings from Portugal!

So, what I would ask you is: if money were not an issue, wich one should I buy?
The Scarlet (not the $2700 version, but 3D s35 version).

But backtracking, latitude, low noise (low light) and higher data-rate (movement) and good performance and handling are the big priorities for quality here. Look at the cameras with a top of 16mb/s data-rate at least. See the new ambarella based ones this year, and the Sanyo and new Samsung.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:15 PM   #10

I have a HD2000 but I use it in 720p because the full HD is too heavy to view without a really fast PC as mentioned above. Most of my PC's are fast enough but I want to be able to watch the videos on all my PC's some of which are only dual core.

I found that 720p is sufficient for youtube and other flash conversions.

I am thinking about getting a second camera and I am wonder whether to get a HD1010 or a HD2000 or whether there is anything new out now that can compare with these Xactis.

The important thing for me is size and an external mic input. Gun shape is good but I could cope with any form factor if it fit in my pocket and I could add a directional mike.
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote