Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:46 PM   #1

I figure since several people who've posted here either have the DXG-595v or a flavor of the Aiptek HD (I own both DXG-595v and GVS) I think you'd all be interested in this device: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

Hooks up to your TV via HDMI. If you are like me and have an old HDTV that only has component and DVI, u can buy a DVI to HDMI converter cable and works just as fine, you just need to plug in the old white/red audio cables as well to take care of audio. I've always noticed the component cables that come with both Aiptek and DXG do not work very well, at least in my experience, you have to jiggle it around before getting anything to display on the TV. With this unit, you don't have to worry anymore, you just plug in any type of USB storage and play directly to your TV. I plug my SD card into a USB adapter and play my files. I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me or not but it seems to make my Aiptek or DXG videos look alot sharper and the color far more vibrant. Also my TV does not support 720P but somehow this thing can play my 720P 60FPS files with great quality, looks like it upconverts or something. This is opposed to trying to play 720P directly from the camcorder and nothing comes out since my TV does not support that resolution, somehow this Western Digital device decodes or something. This now gives me a reason to record more stuff at 720P 60FPS since I like the smoothness of this mode and in both camcorders, stabalization is enabled in this mode.

This device I've seen for about $90 at it's lowest price. Only reason I have it is because my bro-in-law got it for free but could not really use it, so a blessing in disguise. It also can display photos and play music from your drives. I think definitely a worthy investment, check it out.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2009, 4:52 PM   #2

There's an even newer connector coming out on more and more new computers: DISPLAYPORT.

DISPLAYPORT is cool because it doesn't care if you're connecting to an HDTV that has an HDMI port or a computer monitor with a DVI port or an old CRT with a VGA port.

You just buy a sub-$15 adapter:

1. DISPLAY PORT-to-HDMI
2. DISPLAY PORT-to-DVI
3. DISPLAY PORT-to-VGA

And DISPLAYPORT supports multiple monitors!

More info here:

http://www.displayport.org/open/Interoperability.htm

Inexpensive adapters (available soon):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10428
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 4:53 PM   #3

P.S. This is why the new Apple computer models introduced this past week all feature the DISPLAYPORT "out."
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:43 PM   #4

Hmm I've heard of and seen this connection but I'm not sure how this will work with the WD HD device or most current devices. I definitely can't use this connection right now and I guess I'd have to put out $$$ to buy new devices that do. Maybe when my current stuff breaks down I'll look for this in the specs.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote