Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:45 AM   #1

I will concentrate on high definition hybrids only, but might mention extremely good standard definition finds.
-------------------------------------------------------

I forgot a few other stores.

Sam's Warehouse, now under instructions, has the DXG 576 720p model for under $100 AU, a cheap way to get into these cameras, but not the highest spec camera. I suspect retailers have not promoted these cameras enough in this country to get the interest of customers and the warehouse is reducing pricing.

Sam's now has the Octek 569 at $169 on special does 1080p(1440) and 720p at 30fps. Not much in the 30fps only 720p mode, but small and nice.

The group Sams belongs to is having issues, and the future of Sams I don't know, but you might find some stores closing.

The Local Camera House has Sanyo and another brand hybrid (720p30 model).

Hopefully Kodak gets on board with the new model, but there Mpeg4 equipped digital cameras are available locally.

Target sells Sanyo models, and has a new 720p camcorder like model in.

Being next to a regional city it is hard to see if any more are available at department stores in the capitals, some it might be worth checking.

--

I found two stores with HD Hybrids in Australia.

KMart has various models in different stores, to note:

Audiosonic 596

May or may not be related to the DXG (they would not even open the display cabinet to scan it to find a price in Townsville). One person thought it might be $299AU, but I don't know if this was before or after clearance.

595 I got to handle this, around $249 from memory on clearance in Rockhampton, forget brand, just the 720p30 model.

Aiptek z300 $199, z200 $179

There are other SD cameras I saw.

Unfortunately I did not know about these because the local store closed down to move to a newer closer store, but never did.

Strathfeild car sound has Octek and DXG models (Octek seems to be a re-badged dxg).

596 $399, 595 equivalents

Kogan Australia seems to have a 596 like camera from memory, but am not sure, they are an on-line brand.

Aldi is in Australia, but am unsure if they have there 596/595 like camera here.

Canon tx-1's might still be available, Samsungs are available.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:52 AM   #2

Added new entries for Sam's Warehouse, Camera House, Kodak and Target (but which ones available could vary from store to store, with some without).
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:34 PM   #3

For our Australia googlers. Updated Sams listing with the latest Octek 569 (1080p30/720p30) for $169AU (like the DXG 569).