Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1

I recently received an email from the warranty center saying that, "we don't have any HDV178c which is a Canadian Tire ..I have something of similar features. It's an American version with the same accessories but a little different looking camera (smaller and I think in my opinion lighter )" but still (I assume) named HDV178. Does anyone know the difference if any between the two versions?
archp2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:54 PM   #2

archp2008 wrote:
Quote:
I recently received an email from the warranty center saying that, "we don't have any HDV178c which is a Canadian Tire ..I have something of similar features. It's an American version with the same accessories but a little different looking camera (smaller and I think in my opinion lighter )" but still (I assume) named HDV178. Does anyone know the difference if any between the two versions?
There are two cameras that are identical function, but packaged slightly differently. The HDV178 is the smaller of the two, with a small LCD screen that is hinged in the center so it can be rotated and re-stowed flat while the camera is still recording. The other slightly larger version goes by the HDV188 nomenclature in the US. It's case has a larger LCD screen which is hinged on one corner and can't be restowed like the 178. Otherwise, there is no functional difference.

I don't know if the 178C you mention is the same as the 188, though.
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have received this new camera now. The difference in size and weight are negligible; however, the control buttons are completely different in design. I suspect the failure of my previous camera (the Canadian Tire version) may have been related to failure of some of these alternately-designed buttons. BTW, neither of these cameras has a true flash, just a LED, which is almost totally useless in my opinion. I suppose there may be a very rare instance; for example in total darkness, where no room lights can be turned on, as in taking a video or picture of a sleeping child, where this LED "flash" may produce a dim image; although the camera would need to be very steady for a still shot, as on a tripod, to avoid hand-shake blur. The LED can be made to stay on for video. The manual makes some statements regarding the fact that this is primarily a video camera, hence the weak "flash."
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:38 AM   #4

I hear ya.

the 178 is the lower pic to the monitor left, the 188, to the right. the one above (lil pic) is another model the Jazz dv-179

qhich is the one you have. a pic is worth a thousand words. thanks

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5

The one on the top right (with the screen open) looks like the version that Canadian Tire sells which is the version that I had first but failed. The one on the bottom left is the version that I have now. You will tell a difference in the lens ring. I understand that Jazz differentiates the two by calling them HDV-178c (Canadian with French language included) and just HDV-178 (American Version). It looks like none of these three models has a true flash, only a LED. The LED is not bright enough to trigger my Metz 28-CS2 slave flash either. The 28-CS2 slave flash is supposed to work with just about any flash technology, but I don't think the LED is really a flash. There is no sudden spike. It's just an LED that comes on and goes off while the shutter is open.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:58 AM   #6

is it this one see below

security locked , gotta luv em

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 4:05 PM   #7

This is the one I had first, except that it came in a box.