Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 9, 2009, 3:05 PM   #1

Hi

I think that SX1 is far better (video and photo) but it is quite big. Is it worth? I need a Hyprid camera with FULL HD. I would like use it for 10 years (i used my old canon eos for 12 years now and my wife would like a smaller one. The SX1 is smaller, but not alot)

Thank's

Andy

Morphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2009, 5:40 PM   #2

Yes the SX1 is a nice camera. I am not convinced the video is "far" better though, at least from what I have seen. I find the Sanyo's tend to have a more natural look to their video while Canon can be a bit over saturated at times. That can be a matter of preference though. I guess it also depends on what you are going to be mainly using it for. If for video, the Pistol grip of the Sanyo would be more comfortable and natural to hold. If you are mainly a still image photographer then the SX1 might make a more natural choice and of course you do have Optical image stabilisation which is a plus.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:35 AM   #3

Hi

Thank's. I have just seen a video from SX1 and i'm impressed! 20xZoom is enormand i can imagine that make short videos or photoswith this zoom is fun.My wife says that she will at least half of the time makes photos. And i have bought a epson A3 photoprinter so i can print big "Super A3" posters from our children. So probably i will buy the Canon SX1 (In Switzerland the Canon SX1 is cheaper thant Sanyo VPC-HD2000)

Andy
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4

I may have laughed when I read this, and not at you Andy

It will be hard to say I own quite a few, and yes the yare ten plus years old.

my MPVr is ten about with a broken nav button. I have a back up

My Mustek is a DV3000 still works switch faulty, and a dv4500. perfect working condition. just outdated.

I was PM'ed that some one dropped the GVS and damaged the zoom up/down button, so yes it may be difficult to own these to last that long
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:11 PM   #5

Don't expect non-SLR camera to last that long, especially if it has zoom. Only SLR is solid enought to last that 10 years, with compact cameras automatic zooms and different kind of motors and easily breaking LCD screens 10 years is over their usual age, depending how often you use your camera. In SLR you can switch lens if it is broken, but not in compact camera.

Canon Powershot SX200 could be good choice if you want new compact camera, while ago I bought Sanyo HD700 and I am not very happy with its still image quality and red-eye problems when using built-in flash. But HD2000 should be much better in still picture quality.

Sanyo HD2000 could last perhaps longer than Canon SX1, becouse it doesn't have extractable zoom so it doesn't gather so much dirt and sand inside, but anyway it has also zoom motor which could break sometime and very easily breaking LCD screen. These compact cameras are also very small and tiny, so they could slip from hand more easily than big SLR camera, so you must be very careful with them.

There is also shock proof and water proof cameras in the market, like Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT1 or Canon PowerShot D10, they could probably last longer than ordinary compact cameras, because they are made for harsh conditions.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:33 PM   #6

Hi

Thank's for all your input. I just ordered SX1. After reading the manual i think this camera has more possibilites for still pictures (settings for improving picture Quality)and on the same time FULL HD video support. Your are right, maybe in a few years i will get a smaller one with even better video and picture quality (small like HD2000)

Regards

Andy