Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

View Poll Results: Which one?
Aiptek Action HD GVS 3 75.00%
DXG 595V HD 0 0%
Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD100 1 25.00%
Other (please specify which/why) 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:10 PM   #1

I'm going to be purchasing a new hybrid HD camcorder on Friday. I think it's been narrowed down to:

Aiptek Action HD GVS 1080P (or comparable Aiptek)
DXG 595V HD
Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD100

or whatever you suggest in the ~ $200.00 range

I would appreciate any guidance you could provide :?
krysbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:52 PM   #2

Welcome aboard KYRS.....

Excitement in the air......

Well I know you'll be picking/recieving one model you'll be happy with whichever one it is.

you have three excellent models to choose from, I am sure the 60 fps is thetemptation.. but when friday comes andgoes let us know. and the reason why you are pruchasing

best of luck on your choice
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:34 AM   #3

C'mon somebody has got to have a more informed opinion than mine....
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:00 PM   #4

haha when I saw the post title, I thought you were going to get everyone in this forum a drink! :lol:

They all have their positives and negatives so you need to look at each one on it's own merits. If the sample videos you have seen, look good enough for you and the device satisfies your needs then that's the one to get. Not a great answer I know, but the only way to sort them out.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:09 PM   #5

OK, does anyone own one of the mentioned devices & could they provide an opinion of any good/ bad aspects.?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 6:09 PM   #6

this is the one you're talking about can be also ordered online. so rather go and pick one up you can save some dough thecam retails over 350.00 and on sale 300. and can be purchased for 200. and if you know the discount code save 10 %, you can even save 30 % if you know the other code

the three cams you are researching are three different cams

and well If I had the choice I think my decision be instore , test out, return if not happy,
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:54 PM   #7

I own both the DXG-595v and Aiptek GVS. It's a close call but I'd go with the GVS. Both take great video but the GVS has better focus, and zooms in and out much faster and quieter. Plus when the DXG-595v zooms in and out you can hear the motor sound which is also caught on video. The DXG slightly loses focus when it zooms in and out, no issue for the GVS. The DXG seems to be constructed better as far as feel but you get used to the light-weightedness of the GVS. The sound seems to be much crisper with the GVS as well. Only advantage that DXG-595v has is an LED light which works for taking pictures, not much help for video as neither are that great in low light. In broad daylight or well lit room, video is awesome for both. I've used both to film sporting events indoors like basketball games and that is more than sufficient lighting to get clear video. Another thing I like is the pistol grip of the GVS, easier to maintain steadiness especially when filming in 1080P, as neither has stabalizaton in this mode, both have it at 720P 60FPS. But overall the pistol grip is a more comfortable grip. Let's seee, also the GVS fits comfortaly in your back pocket, the DXG, not so much. Both take good pictures, slight edge to the DXG since it has an LED light for darker environments. Well that's what I can think of to this point, let me know if you have any questions..
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:05 PM   #8

This might be an obvious question as well, but do you have an HDTV? Sorry I ask because I know some folks who buy HD camcorders but don't have an HDTV, playing the videos on the PC does not do any of these camcorders any justice. You really need to play them on an HDTV to really appreciate the clarity. Also a worthy investment is this device: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

I'm not sure if it's just my TV, I have an older 1st gen HDTV but the videos seems to be far clearer when played via HDMI as opposed to component. This device allows you to play all your HD videos via USB storage device that you can attach to the unit. I got this unit for free but seeing what it can do I would put out the money to get one.

Use coupon code EMCHDD10 for 10% off.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:32 PM   #9

HDMI as in the rca red green blue, or as in a XX pin cofiguration plug?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:37 PM   #10

HDMI as in the newest standard of connecting audio/video devices, kind of plugs in like a USB connection, carries both audio and video signals. I find that the component cables that come with both Aiptek and DXG do not work very well, you kind of have to jiggle them around to get the image to display on the TV. Not only does connecting it through the Western digital device connect easier, it looks a lot better as well. The component cable seemed to always have this ever so slight white tint on the video, but with HDMI it comes out crystal clear.