Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:28 PM   #11

I don't think the budget models are necessarily taking a step backwards. They may not be adding features for sure, but this may be to keep costs down plus the lower end are more likely to be purchased by users whose PC's may not have the processing ability to handle higher bitrates and/or full HD. There are a lot more of these type of people out there than you might think.

Also Camcorder manufacturers are all moving towards CMOS. Even Panasonic's new cameras use CMOS.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:52 PM   #12

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the budget models are necessarily taking a step backwards. They may not be adding features for sure, but this may be to keep costs down plus the lower end are more likely to be purchased by users whose PC's may not have the processing ability to handle higher bitrates and/or full HD. There are a lot more of these type of people out there than you might think.

Also Camcorder manufacturers are all moving towards CMOS. Even Panasonic's new cameras use CMOS.
Well I just hope they don't forget the rest of us who have moved forward, definitely not against a more basic model for folks just stepping into the HD world. We're the ones who are buying these camcorder. I'm under the assumption that folks who are purchasing these HD camcorders already have things in place, such as a powerful enough PC and HDTV, therefore I say market to these folks.

The fact that this newer Aiptek model has HDMI tells me they are catering to the HD crowd, why not wait and come out with a vast improvement? To me your PC either can handle HD files or it can't, your TV can or can't, whoever is buying any type of HD camcorders I'm sure are already ready for it. Makes no sense to market these to folks who haven't stepped forward. You're only as strong as your weakest link, someone who has standard def or an older PC can't make much use of these newer camcorders.

When people ask me about getting these camcorders I always ask if they have an HDTV or current PC. If not, don't bother, no better than existing camcorders. It's too bad once you upgrade one thing, you have to upgrade everything.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote