Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:58 PM   #1

I've seen a few previews of new models coming out such as this one from Aiptek: http://www.hardwarezone.com/ourvoice...rising-Step-Up

Only new feature it seems to have is that it now has an HDMI connection. However it only displays a max of 720P and at 30 FPS. We already have 1080P 30FPS and 720P 60 FPS, what's going to be so special about this one? Seems like a step back. I also hear the new DXG-581v has an HDMI connection, does 1080P but only does 30 FPS on 720P. Also no optical zoom, only digital. Another step backwards. I would say a good number of people who have HDTV's can support 1080P or 1080i, why not maximize the potential?

I guess I'm just interested to see how much they can pack into these low budget cameras and still keep a reasonably low price, but w/o sacrificing current features. HDMI connection is nice, but then you take away existing features, I would think you want to just add to what's already there. I would say the next step is to add 10X zoom and 1080P 60FPS, that would definitely be the next jump. I'm definitely happen with the current lineup such as the Aiptek GVS and DXG-595v but it's disppointing when I read information of future models that seem to take away as opposed to improve. What say you?
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:22 PM   #2

I see what your saying but 720p is still a good step up for most people moving from standard definition in a budget camera. It is easier to handle than full 1080P High Definition yet it still has 3 times the resolution of Standard Definition ie it will still look good on quite a decent size TV. I do agree they need an optical Zoom though.

It seems the new Sanyo TH1 is nearer the mark alhough it still doesn't have a 720p 60fps mode sadly. If does have a 640x480 60fps mode though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:30 PM   #3

Nice find.

This model sure looks like other meaning Ispan dxg digilife.

It is not a step down, this model has been around awhile or has it. no yet a owner or a tester Iwould do my review if I had one to test but like they said.

not a 100% positivereview . sounded very unpleased
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:31 PM   #4

I see what your saying but 720p is still a good step up for most people moving from standard definition in a budget camera. It is easier to handle than full 1080P High Definition yet it still has 3 times the resolution of Standard Definition ie it will still look good on quite a decent size TV. I do agree they need an optical Zoom though.

It seems the new Sanyo TH1 is nearer the mark alhough it still doesn't have a 720p 60fps mode sadly. If does have a 640x480 60fps mode though.

True although I would say if someone does step up to HDTV, generally it will support 1080P. I don't know why some HDTV's out there only go up to 720P and yet are the same price as a 1080P or not much less. I bought my HDTV 5 yrs ago and it supports 1080i and still looks great. I figure if you're going to step up to HD, get the most for your money, of course w/o going too overboard which these days, you can buy an HDTV for reasonably good price. That's why I feel these camcorders should find ways to step it up, seems like they've definitely made strides in the past 2 yrs, only can go up from here.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:37 PM   #5

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Nice find.

This model sure looks like other meaning Ispan dxg digilife.

It is not a step down, this model has been around awhile or has it. no yet a owner or a tester Iwould do my review if I had one to test but like they said.

not a 100% positivereview . sounded very unpleased
I considered it a stepdown since it is a yet to be released model, at least as far as Aiptek is concerned in the states. I was hoping the next release would add something significantly new, like 10x zoom and 1080P 60FPS, for that I'd pay $300, still cheaper than the high end brands. So a little disappointed that all it really adds is HDMI and appears to have higher resolution for stills. Hopefully my dreams will be fulfilled document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/laughing-smiley-002.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/laughing-smiley-002.gif[/img]

Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:39 PM   #6

this 720P model somehow was missleading to the promised 1080P

as for the hdtv you have different stages. there are a few, not going into a great detail some just seem to be better, and prefrence is the key

I preferre a lcd over plasma. I just change the light Eliment out per hours used, and I am good, plazma not as easy..............

this eropean model h100 is already old, and yet not a 2.4 inch screen, but a 3 inch so hmmm something is outdated already Lol

[align=center]

[/align]
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:34 PM   #7

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
this 720P model somehow was missleading to the promised 1080P

as for the hdtv you have different stages. there are a few, not going into a great detail some just seem to be better, and prefrence is the key

I preferre a lcd over plasma. I just change the light Eliment out per hours used, and I am good, plazma not as easy..............

this eropean model h100 is already old, and yet not a 2.4 inch screen, but a 3 inch so hmmm something is outdated already Lol

[align=center]

[/align]
Just wondering, how is it that this is an old model? I don't see it anywhere on Aiptek euro's site. It seems like it has yet to be released. Also seeing that it has an HDMI connection, it appears to be something that is a new feature. I don't any other information regarding this camera anywhere else. Like I've said, I hope Aiptek keeps making strides in the right direction, this camera doesn't offer anything new that makes anyone who has a current model like a GVS to contemplate upgrading.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:53 PM   #8

this model I shown is the OLD model I do appologise forthat. but I am sure it is not goingto be a seller in my eyes.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:54 PM   #9

this model I shown is the OLD model I do appologise for that. but I am sure it is not goingto be a seller in my eyes.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:04 PM   #10

It seems that in the budget camcorder world, the mid-level cameras might be taking a step backwards but this does not hold true for the " flag ship" models, the Apitek Action Hd keeps growing in feature frommodel to model. The DXG 595 (style)when very first came out only had 720p and now has 1080p. 1080p at 60(fps) or 60(FPS)are onlyseen in high end cameras. The DXG has room to grow. It does not have AutoFocus Lock,HDMI connection. My guess is the Aiptek Action HD GVS will addHDMI connection, plus manual focus And DXG will add AutoFuco Lock and a HDMI connection.Both might see CCD sensor, replacing the CMOS now used.Adding 1080p at 60fps I think would push these camera into a price range where than can not compete with the " name brand" that are all ready out there in over all picture quality.Most budget camcorders already need to increases their bitrates in the 720p 60fps and 1080p 30fpsmode as of now, before they even think about adding a 1080p mode at 60fps.
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote