Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:00 PM   #1

Hi there!

I'm going to create a movie for my graduation which will be shown on the graduation party.
I'm doing this is in a work group with other students and since I'm going to sell my dad's old Hi8 Cam, I'm looking for something new digital!

- at least 3x zoom
- 30fps or more
- save movies on sd card
- HDMI or other to connect it to a TV
- own Battery would be great
- bearable audio quality
- decent video quality (HD?)
- battery life at least 45min
- not only AF but manual, too
- don't care about shape
- shouldnt be too bad in low light condition
- not more than $180

What would you recommend?

However, my PC is not state of the art and it isn't able to play HD videos from Camcorders such as the Toshiba H10.
So, does it make sense to buy an HD Camcorder and use it in low quality mode?
Or should I rather try to make some money and get a new PC?:/
How much is a PC capable of HD editing (approx.)?

Thanks for your help!
Greetings from Germany!

p5cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:54 PM   #2

Welcome aboard P5....

let hte members answer these questions

p5cl wrote:
Quote:
Hi there!

I'm going to create a movie for my graduation which will be shown on the graduation party.
I'm doing this is in a work group with other students and since I'm going to sell my dad's old Hi8 Cam, I'm looking for something new digital!

- at least 3x zoom
- 30fps or more
- save movies on sd card
- HDMI or other to connect it to a TV
- own Battery would be great
- bearable audio quality
- decent video quality (HD?)
- battery life at least 45min
- not only AF but manual, too
- don't care about shape
- shouldnt be too bad in low light condition
- not more than $180

What would you recommend?

However, my PC is not state of the art and it isn't able to play HD videos from Camcorders such as the Toshiba H10.
So, does it make sense to buy an HD Camcorder and use it in low quality mode?
Or should I rather try to make some money and get a new PC?:/
How much is a PC capable of HD editing (approx.)?

Thanks for your help!
Greetings from Germany!

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:40 PM   #3

p5cl, how important is the manual focus feature and the HDMI port to you? and what computer do you have now? (Processor andmemory size)

NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:56 AM   #4

well, HDMI is not too important but I want to connect the cam to a TV somehow, in HD quality, if possible.

Well, if the AF is good I don't absolutely need the manual focus, but it would be a great feature.

Right now I own a Netbook and a PC with AMD 64 Single-Core 1,8Ghz, 512mb Ram and a Nvidia 5900zt..

p5cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:01 AM   #5

well since the Aiptek Action HD GVS is a AutoFocus and semi manual. having h\the capability to LOCK AF down then that may be the option but its not under 199.99 see how I did not say 200.00 lol

some would like manual over other full auto features. but yes you have some good options out there but placing a tag on your device you have to be just a lil giving few $ up/down

PC again test a sample 1.5 you shall do fine be kinda lingering in magix that is whatI am doing on a laptop SLOWWWWWW
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:01 AM   #6

fishycomics is right Aiptek Action HD (GVS) or Z700 is a good choice from the features that you have listed. Your computer is really holding you back. I would first get a new computer. Most will recommend a Intel based QuadCore 4GB memory, 512MB video card. What that cost? I have no idea at all, I'm sorry to say I build my own computers to same money.I you need time to save up for the computer, than I would wait to buy the camera. you nver know by the time you get the compter, a new model of camera, might have come out the meets your needs better. Or an older model that you like might drop in price. Everything I have read said, start with the computer. I tried it the otherway (bought the camera first) and was not happy.
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:20 PM   #7

thanks nutty I swear I placed GVS there lol corrected

the GVS is the choice today but as one member PM'd about AIrcraft filming well. it is said. it is both the user and cam. I got some rc footage or so I think LOL not gonna drive to find them again LOL
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:08 PM   #8

p5cl wrote:
Quote:
well, HDMI is not too important but I want to connect the cam to a TV somehow, in HD quality, if possible.

Well, if the AF is good I don't absolutely need the manual focus, but it would be a great feature.

Right now I own a Netbook and a PC with AMD 64 Single-Core 1,8Ghz, 512mb Ram and a Nvidia 5900zt..

You can actually still use an HD camcorder with your PC. You would just need to convert the video to a more processor friendly format in order to edit it. You can archive the original video files for the future. This would work fine if you were just creating DVDs for the time being. You can create some nice DVD's from HD material.

Now if you planned on putting the edited material back on the camcorder, you would of course have to reconvert back to the exact same format the original file was in.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:49 PM   #9

RGVCAM: when you say convert back to the orginal, that means using any editor converter or total.?

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
p5cl wrote:
Quote:

You can actually still use an HD camcorder with your PC. You would just need to convert the video to a more processor friendly format in order to edit it. You can archive the original video files for the future. This would work fine if you were just creating DVDs for the time being. You can create some nice DVD's from HD material.

Now if you planned on putting the edited material back on the camcorder, you would of course have to reconvert back to the exact same format the original file was in.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:31 PM   #10

once you convert it to DVD all the HD is lost so buying a HD camera might be a waste of money. How is this project going to be displayed?

I just recently bought a jvc minidv camera for $139 just to use with my stand alone dvd recorder. It has a better focus and zoom than the cheap hybrid HD cameras I use for stuff like youtube. If I want to edit the footage I can hook it up to my computer via the firewire port and make really nice looking videos. So does your computer currently have a firewire port? Do you know what processor your computer has(to see if you can use a HD camera with it)?
oopsypoopsy04 is offline   Reply With Quote