Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:38 PM   #1

Hey guys, I am looking to buy one of those 100-150% wallmart/bestbuyHD camcorders and I was wondering which one was most " normal "

Of course I do not expect superior performance or stabilization, but it will sit on a tripod anyway.

It will be used to film sports, so the 60fps 720p on some of the Aiptek sounds really good but I guess 30 is OK too.

So, can you recommend a good one ? If it's aiptek, does it matter which one or do they all film at the same quality ? (talking about lens, etc.. i know the res are different between them)

http://www.aiptek.com/

And the most important question:
Are they better for video than a similar priced Point and Shoot cameras like Casio EX-Z80 with it's h.264 30fps ? They cost the same.

Thanks !
Silencer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:37 PM   #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hqgyGo4dGo

the above video is the 200.00 Aiptek action HD GVS

the AIptek AHD+ will cost you, in the 150 range.

the Insignial 100 range but no 60 fps

of the two i mention will have Rolling shutter or called a Jello effect by a member.

it may be better to look more into the Casio as mentioned with more manual controls

but it all depends on what you're looking for research is the Key.

let our members help you decide, if you enjoyed that clip there are a few more there
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:00 PM   #3

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for ! High speed and no ghosting ! Perfect for my uses (outdoor track and field)

So, if I am not looking for 1080p resolution or still shot ability, will the Hi-Speed or the HD-1 also look like the above video ?

Although, 200$ for that kind of quality is nothing, and I am being cheap

We'll see though.

So you're saying I should either get a 60fps aiptek or go with the Casio and also get a decent photo camera ? Those 100$ aipteks look awful in terms of build quality.. I'm gonna end up breaking it, I know myself.

Thank you !
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4

these are now on clearance at most Walmarts for $89:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9914697

Their not the greatest but you could always take it back if you didnt like it. My store has tons left but I havent ever seen someone bring on back. I hooked it up to a 32" LCD tv on day and I didnt think it looked that great but I dont remember what resolution it was being played in.

But if you take more pictures than video your better off with a still camera that also does video. I'd recommend the Kodak z1285. It runs about $150 but it takes great pictures(12 megapixel) and also does 720p video.

just my 2 cents.
oopsypoopsy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 2:37 PM   #5

Thanks for your input !
You know what, since I found this Kodak for so cheap, I think i'll get both a camcorder and that Kodak.
It looks like the best still camera in this price range because it has a wide angle lens, however I could only find the "sick" deal on the Z1275 model, and not the Z1285 like you said, but I don't really see a difference in specs, do you ? Let me know !

I talked to Fishy on youtube and I am pretty much closed on the GVS model from Aiptek, his videos look so damn good, i can't possibly go wrong with that one.
Fishy, one more thing, all those videos are out of the box right ? I won't have to mess with firmwares etc.. ?

Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:14 PM   #6

if you recieve 2003 out ofhte box yes 2003 is the video.

Yes I have 2302 out of the box. 2402 is updated

I believe no matter which one today will do just fine.

best thing to do is find a DL and view for yourself youtube is a flash online site vimeo stores your online footage if DL.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:32 PM   #7

Silencer23 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your input !
You know what, since I found this Kodak for so cheap, I think i'll get both a camcorder and that Kodak.
It looks like the best still camera in this price range because it has a wide angle lens, however I could only find the "sick" deal on the Z1275 model, and not the Z1285 like you said, but I don't really see a difference in specs, do you ? Let me know !

I talked to Fishy on youtube and I am pretty much closed on the GVS model from Aiptek, his videos look so darn good, i can't possibly go wrong with that one.
Fishy, one more thing, all those videos are out of the box right ? I won't have to mess with firmwares etc.. ?

If I remember correctly the Z1275 didnt have image stabilization.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:15 AM   #8

1285 is on sale on buy.com for $99.

http://www.buy.com/prod/kodak-easysh...mp;dcaid=17992