Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

hello
i heard that the ccd lens produce less wobble than cmos (is it true?) to be more precise i want to compare xacti hd700 wich have a ccd lens with hd800 or better the last cg10 wich i want to buy? i saw hd700 samples and i found them great but i dont know if all the camcorders that followed wich all have cmos lenses will have a such stable video? so if the final result will be the same i will go for the cg10 wich got more improvements and is as compact as the hd700.
thanks a lot
mlkwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:39 PM   #2

CCD will not produce the "wobble" you see with CMOS sensors. COMS sensors on the cheap digicams use a "rolling shutter" to expose the picture slowly from top to bottom. The faster the rolling shutter, the less you notice this distortion. Some cameras are better than others in hiding this defect.

CCD takes a "snapshot" of the scene, all at once. Each frame of video is a seperate picture so no wobble distortion is seen.

See: http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/ for more info. You can also google "rolling shutter"
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:31 PM   #3

man thanks thanks a lot , your article is gold, very instructive, i understand everything now, this forum should have a special topic with the article you gave me, i will go for the hd700 its far better even with less options.
thanks again
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:34 PM   #4

Actually no consumer camcorder that uses CMOS has a global shutter as it's not practical costwise. Even the highly rated Canon HF100 has rolling shutter.

It all depends on what you are going to use it for. For general family use, I hardly notice rolling shutter and I haven't had any family members complain either. Of course some people are more sensitive to this than others. Would I prefer a global shutter? Why sure! But I am not going to rule out a bunch of great cameras just because they use CMOS and it is going to be more of a problem because all brands seem to be moving to CMOS. Even Panasonics new models that are coming out seem to be heading that way.

I tried a HD700 for a while and found the video much noiser indoors than other camcorders which made it a poor choice for filming family birthday parties in places such as Chucke Cheese's etc in the more dimly lit areas. I foudn it worse than my C40. The other problem is that the narrow field of view of the lens made it more awkward for indoor use as well.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:47 AM   #5

:?:?:?
ok i might use this camera indoors few times, but i will be more often shouting outdoor, soccer footage, can you please give me a link to an indoor video oh that hd700?
thanks
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:14 AM   #6

mlkwestcoast wrote:
Quote:
:??:?
ok i might use this camera indoors few times, but i will be more often shouting outdoor, soccer footage, can you please give me a link to an indoor video oh that hd700?
thanks
I no longer have the HD700 but you can do a search on vimeo.com for some samples. Also fishycomics still has his I believe
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:15 PM   #7

i cannot find direct download links for hd700 indoor samples (i like viewing them with media player classic) nobody still have some?

and please, i saw other cmos cams and i dont find them more wobblier than hd700???? i tought ccd will make a huge difference.

and finally does hd800 resolve the narrow field and poor indoor videos problem or not?
thanks
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:57 PM   #8

mlkwestcoast wrote:
Quote:
and please, i saw other cmos cams and i dont find them more wobblier than hd700???? i tought ccd will make a huge difference.
Well to be fair the effect is often overstated. In general use, you probably won't notice it unless someone pointed it out and of course some cameras are worse than others.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:33 PM   #9

thanks for your answear, so if we reduce the choice of cmos cams to hd800, is hd700 more stable than it? i saw many vids of the 2 but it depends on the person who is filming, what is your opinion about that?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:09 AM   #10

I have Sanyo HD700, I must say it has terrible red-eye problem when using flash, because internal flash is too close to lens and camera doesn't offer double flash option (which is even in cheap Aiptek cameras!). I suggest you to buy HD1000 or consider Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 or Canon PowerShot SX200, they have better optical stabilizer than Sanyo, but maybe not so good video features. HD1000 has longer zoom (10x) and wide lens option when shooting indoors and good pop-up flash. CMOS wobble is almost non existent in family videos and even some pro-camcorders use CMOS sensors, so don't choose camera by sensor type, use other features when judging which camera to buy.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote