Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:31 PM   #11

Hi Trevmar,
I'm been following your posts since saturday since I haven't seen any other reviews on the video quality of the pm1 anywhere else on the internets...I just created an account so I could post this

"the output from the Sony PM1 is totally black"

Like black black or just very dark? Could you post some vids of the PM1 on vimeo (low light and bright light)?

Thanks!

cameraluvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:26 PM   #12

Cameraluvah: Most cameras increase the gain when they start to lose image in dark surroundings. The PM1 does not do that, or at least, not by much. when the lighting is inadequate you end up with a dark image. I didn't look into it in too much detail. The moment I started getting dark images in my standard indoors test environments (at 30 lux on my light-meter) I stopped the test. The PM1 was a no-show. The dark footage would not show up well on Vimeo. I could show you a near-perfect-looking video from the Kodak V1073 alongside an essentially black clip from the Sony, but that would be a waste of my time. Anybody who wants to try the PM1 for themselves can get it now. It looks pretty good as long as the lighting is OK. Indoors, as long as it is well-lit, is OK. I am sure many first time users will love the camera.

Rgvcam: there is no manual yet available from Sony - Just a press release and a specifications page on their web site, both of which say "340 minutes on a 16 gig card." here is some web commentary:
http://www.stephenjburke.com/?p=191

There is a sparse manual (printed on newsprint) that comes with the PM1 telling you about the 25min limitation.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:42 PM   #13

Trevm ar wrote:
Quote:
Rgvcam: there is no manual yet available from Sony - Just a press release and a specifications page on their web site, both of which say "340 minutes on a 16 gig card." here is some web commentary:
http://www.stephenjburke.com/?p=191

There is a sparse manual (printed on newsprint) that comes with the PM1 telling you about the 25min limitation.
Yeah they should be upfront about these kinds of limitations before you buy it. I guess they deliberately leave it out on the basis that there will be a certain percentage who either won't be able to return it, or just won't bother despite realizing it. Sort of like the idea behind rebates...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:11 PM   #14

Why would anybody manufacture a camcorder that limits the recording time?

Does not seem like a good selling point.

MFlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 2:46 PM   #15

The European Union charges a higher import duty for video-cameras than it does for still-cameras.

By restricting the HD recording time to less than 30 minutes, the manufacturers escape the higher camcorder tariff.

Of course, there is no reason for manufacturers to limit functionality of the units being sold outside of Europe, but they do.

Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:21 PM   #16

Well that certainly doesn't say much for Sony,or any other manufacturer that would restrict its customers for the sake of a few dollars.

Do they have those limitations on all there camcorders or only the inexpensive ones?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:36 PM   #17

Only on the webbies and their point-and-shoot digital cameras

Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:14 PM   #18

Thanks for the info..I will be sure not to buy either of those products and shall be very wary of their others.

Which I'm sad to say as I have recently purchased a Vaio Laptop in order to have the power to use my Aiptek GVS. I'm extremely happy with my VGN-FW351J and apologize for getting off-topic.