Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Hi guys.
This is a music video that I made using my Aiptek A-HD+
No other cameras were used, just the Aiptek.
Check it out and don't forget to turn the YouTube HD switch ON.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FIjkpCtj8

The video was shot in 1080p, 30fpm.
The final composit is HD-720.

I wanted to do this experiment and here are some thoughts on the subject.

Aiptek A-HD+ is deffinitely NOT your camera for serious video work.

The lack of manual white balance adjustments and the exposure flicker are two serious problems when you want to shoot green screen footage.
I spent AGES trying to even out the differences in video exposure and color in Adobe After Effects.
The raw footage material was horrible and needed a lot of work before we even approach the final compositing.

The camera requires A LOT of light to produce a decent footage.
I had four 500 Watt flood lights going on that were pointed at white reflectors (not directly at the scene - for minimum shadows on the green sreen).
Even with that amount of light in a moderately sized room, the camera was having troubles catching the colors right.
My green screen was changing from Cyan to green to Blueish all of the time.
Auto-exposure adjustment is NOT your friend.

Check out the video and please do let me know what you think of the final result.
Feel free to rate it on YouTube.

Do not hesitate to ask any questions about the setup or anything.

Cheers!
Buldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:58 PM   #2

LMAO:

not at you, Excellent job. rated as well

the thing I liked was the drums, they stuck out made the scene for me. what I notice was the endingwhere you wanted to fade was not t he best. but hey I am not perfect either.

I thought you did a excellent job, great work again.

Now for the info we know this is a Point-n-shoot cam no calibration to whitebalance, why it makes it harder, to use as a blue/green etc screen.

glad you mention 2000 watts of power, is it possable you can show a sample of what that would look like for others? if not no sweat off my back I got my own cam:G

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:11 PM   #3

Thanks, Fishy.
As a matter of fact, I chose Aiptek A-HD+ after watching one of your videos.

You can use just one 500 Watt floodlight and the camera will work amazingly well.
But only if the light is pointed directly at your character.
Actually 500W is a lot of blinding power.

In my case this was not possible due to the shadow issues this setup yields.
Green screen and direct lighting without a diffusser (which I didn't have) is not a good idea.
So, I had to use 4 lights 500W each, but they were all pointed away from the characters.
I was relying on reflection only and this lowered the light intensity very, very much because the reflective material was just the walls of the room, not anything special.

Another thing: I don't have a wide angle lens for my Aiptek.
So, I had to put the camera really far away from the scene to be able to capture the characters in their full height.
Moving the camera away from the scene to a spot, where the lighting was completely different affected the white balance and the exposure as well.

If this little camera had manual settings, I'd be in love with it.

About the ending and the fade out: tell me what is wrong there. I will try to fix it.
This clip is a joke, just like is the song.
The song was professionally recorded, but I wasn't aiming at PRO results with the video. It was just a fun little experiment that I made using my almighty Aiptek.

Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:22 PM   #4

I hear ya. nothingwrong , thoughtwhen th actor who sang he faded out, kinda did not fade correctly that's all.

Let me tell you this, Action HD GVS if you attempted the vid with it, how many feet you say you were 20' feet, I tell you, you needed to be 50' feet, i may be exagerating a bit , but I am close. the angle is off and needs to be corrected, hoping the next round it is lol

I agree. love hte cam . just wish it had.............
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:07 PM   #5

I hope they make a camera with manual settings.
It will be the next big thing.