Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:27 PM   #1

I just received my GVS two days ago and I'm confused about something. Any help is super appreciated.

I just did a test standing on my front porch today - 1080p 30fps; everything on auto; EV 0; nightmode off; latest firmware. I did a pan from left to right of my front yard and it was extremely jerky. I did not pan that fast either. I have a new and fast 16 GB SDHC Class 6 card so that shouldn't be a problem.

And the jerkiness is evident when I plug the GVS into my TV so this isn't a computer issue.

Any thoughts? I have a feeling it's not a setting but more of a user error / technique issue. Of course, if anyone knows of postprocessing filters that can help this, that would be great too.

I absolutely love the 1080P sharpness over the 720P so I hope I can figure out why this is happening. Oh, and I tried to not pan any faster than this sample by fishycomics and his panning looks perfect compared to mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhPorrV4oA

*Edit: It may be worth noting that "jerky" may not be the best word. I will try and upload a sample vid. If anything, it hurts your eyes to watch on the camera pan.

Thanks!
Cory
CoryAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:15 PM   #2

Cory........

Welcome aboard.

that video, to pann slow will be hard to follow the hockey teams.

does not matter if stabilization on or off

we, I need to say hey its you, not the cam :Gbut hey, its the cam, not you.

my videos arenot perfect, and I tried to sit comfitably and hold the cam steady. instead of the cam moving I moved my body. Till thevid sample is up I shall comment further

congrads on the purchase, do not forget to join in with Motionbox.com for a chance to win a pico projecter.

I also have certain issues with a laptop and playing so theboat is still not that full yet LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:00 PM   #3

Here is a sample of the clip:

http://vimeo.com/3889888

Thanks,
Cory
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:53 AM   #4

try turning stabilization off. my jazz looks like that when i pan sometimes
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:09 AM   #5

The 1080P 30fps mode does not support stabilization...so I can't turn it off. But I appreciate the response!

It may be useful to mention that I'm running the latest firmware, 2402.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:29 PM   #6

its a 60fps stabilizer only .....

Watched your clip.is any one like the clip I am showing?

which one is the one you think is the correct one orginal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYEBvl6Ep8
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:36 PM   #7

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
its a 60fps stabilizer only .....

Watched your clip.is any one like the clip I am showing?

which one is the one you think is the correct one orginal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYEBvl6Ep8
I am confused by your post. What do you mean? And I don't understand your video either. The first pan looks better than the two after it.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 6:30 AM   #8

I had a brain fart :G

I thought I posted above with some info, that I thought was in there........

and said:

Panning on a scenery. should not be rushed. your video is just that rushed.

Panning should be not all over the place, and should be best to have in a leveled fashion.

If you're panning pann only leftto right, or right to left. Pann up to down, ordown to up. Pann diaginal left to right , or right to left.

The vid I only posted the pann video, to show ya, slow is better, the 1st clip is the orginal, the sec is 2x speed, 3rd 4x speed all three still looked good, nothing more.

I will do a video of how to Pann ......

so it is said your cam isfine, you need to work on your Pann. Watch your video of of a tv for best result, then thePc for the next best result, and last online, online is notthe place for watching best quality, why read up on how they convert files.

Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:05 PM   #9

Well lucky me, I got some editing to do now Lol, I hesitate on recording and cost me oh well.

Panning if to slow you miss, to fast you mess up. action shots you have to act like a robot scenery shots you must relaxe and take it slow.

what I am saying is when I am filming the hockey game, I hold my arms in a V elbos to the side close, and hands together, if I need to follow I do my best to move my body, and if I need to grab a faster pan due to the action I additionally move the hands together. its rythm.

if I use one arm its bad I use to its better I use the whole body its best.

a video of medoing this hmmmmmm
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:19 AM   #10

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I hold my arms¬* in a V elbos to the side close, and hands together, if I need to¬* follow I do my best to move my body, and if I need to¬* grab a faster pan due to the action I additionally move the hands together. its rythm.

if I use one arm its¬* bad I use to its better I use the whole body its best.
Great feedback! I completely understand what your saying...as I read it, I could visualize what you are doing. I will try that.

Thanks,
Cory