Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:04 PM   #1

hello
In xacti hd800 camcorder as an example it is said in sanyo website video is recorded at 9mbs for best quality, so if i well understand, i need a very fast card wich write at least at 9mbs? in pratique even sandisk ultra II dont do that (some special sites have done a speed test), so extreme iii will be necesary?
because some poeple says that we only need basic sd, even sanyo write that in hd700 manual, but when i sent a question to sanyo they told me that a minimum of 9mbs card is required, so can someone explain to me that confusion
thanks
:?
mlkwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Exactly what did they tell you, and note the case of the answer.

You may be confusing Megabits per Second (usually abbreviated as Mb/s or Mbit/s or Mbps) with Megabytes per Second (usually abbreviated as MB/s or MBps).

There are 8 bits in a Byte. So, if they told you 9mbps (megabits per second), that's approximately 1.1 MBps (Megabytes per second).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:59 PM   #3

ohhhh i understand everything now, you know im french and i never give attention to these abreviations, even if i knew before that one BYTE contain 8 bits, but in french. lol
and the sanyo service is wrong he wrote that it is necessary a 9Mo card wich is 9 MB card because in french 1 octet= 1 MB
look at this link we french complicate everything , open the link in internet explorer firefox cut the image:
http://www.sophia-informatique.fr/bits_octets.htm

otherwise thank you very much .

Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:27 PM   #4

please do you think its possible to use a 16GB micro sd card with its sd adapter for this xacti? it could be usefull for other devices (combine with memory stick....)?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:28 PM   #5
Administrator

I don't know.

Hopefully, some of our members will chime in with what cards seem to work Ok in your camera model.

Sometimes specifications can be misleading (both camera specs and card specs) and it's probably a good idea to use a card solution that others have found works OK with a given camera model.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:20 PM   #6

Some of the members, and I like to say why place all your eggs in one basket? At times its best to fill your profile out, we can better assist you in ways....

A general sd card does the trick, the real question is what is the buffer of the cam?

I think, and we are not hte pro's, Sanyo labs already tested this out for us.

you have info coming in, and the cam is writingto the card at ONE speed. the sd card of faster speend will help transfer off the cam, to your pc, and the Usb port plays that toll as well.

why I do not bother wasting additional money on a faster card, do not get me wrong, but they say some cards will eleminate issues.

my 2 cents.

edited due to these being in my post Lol
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:47 PM   #7

mlkwestcoast wrote:
Quote:
please do you think its possible to use a 16GB micro sd card with its sd adapter for this xacti? it could be usefull for other devices (combine with memory stick....)?
There is no reason why it shouldn't, especially as this camera doesn't need any special high speed card.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:25 AM   #8

ok thanks a lot, fishy its done
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:58 AM   #9

thank you, For me to explain in a school of fish LOl..... you understand.

there are others that see the location they'll jump in.

again I see it as the camera has only one speed in. but the cam speed going out will differ.

back when cassettes were used it was one speed in/out.

mlkwestcoast wrote:
Quote:
ok thanks a lot, fishy its done
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10

lol, i will certainly use a micro sd with its adapter
im learning many things here thanks again