Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Sony upgraded last year's HDR-TG1/TG3E with the HDR-TG5V(will most likely have a different model name in Europe). Major differences than previous model are integrated GPS receiver, built in 16GB flash memory, NAVTEQ digital maps(for geo-tagging images/video), The body has undergone some also changes. Larger REC button, rounder egdes and lighter body titanium body(only 10g lighter). The touchscreen menu system has been changed.
Still has the same 1/5" Exmor CMOS sensor so I doubt image and video quality will be much different than the previous model.

The price tag will be around a $1000.

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/04/0...v-as-promised/

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/561405.html

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665825056

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:08 PM   #2

You know, wouldn't you think these marketing executives could get it into their thick heads that a better low-light performance, a better image stabilization system, and some progressive recording modes might mean more to people buying camcorders than a GPS receiver?? What on earth are they thinking?

----

On second thoughts, having read the data sheet saying "Minimum Illumination : 5 lux (Auto Slow Shutter On, 1/30 Shutter Speed )" is is possible they have increased the light sensitivity. Although, what a 30i image will look like is quite beyond my comprehension:?

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:43 AM   #3

The GPS thingy is something Sony thinks will be the next big hit on camcorders. Already a couple of Sony pocket cameras has this feature, and also their Sony Ericsson mobile phones(the expensive ones). In the world of mobile phones nearly all newer high end phones from various brands has built in GPS. I can see the need and usability in phones but camcorders?!

Yeah the "Auto slow shutter" is not usuable IMO. Although it brightens the video it'll get too choppy, because of the slow shutter speed used. I own a Sony AVCHD camcorder and this function is on by default, this has kept Sony support busy receiving calls n emails from people complaining that something was with their camcorder.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:26 AM   #4

I have four Canon HF100 which use 24p inside a AVCHD container very well indeed. I use Cineform Neo-scene to pull-down the AVCHD. The Cineform vfw codec also works well with Virtualdub, and I get generation-free post-processing.

The unsurpassed HF100 low-light performance is largely due to the 1/24 and 1/12 progressive shutters available in this mode.

If Sony had managed to emulate this, or even 30p, it would have been a very attractive camera to me. The Sanyo HD2000 is too clumsy to carry, I prefer to carry the HF100s. Both are clumsy, but the HF100 works really well :-)

24p is just right for HD streaming. Vimeo doesn't decimate a 24p framerate, although I think Youtube still does...

Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5

The Canon HF100 in Europe only shoots in 50i and 25p. No 24p but it does have a 25p cine mode(whatever that is?). So I'm guessing the euro model might not be as good as US model in low light conditions. Also the only reason I've got a Sony is because of the Nightshot function(I just love this function), but my next camcorder will definantly be a Canon. The new LEGRIA HF S10/S100 with an 8MP 1/2.6" CMOS sensor and huge lens with 58mm thread looks awesome. The new VIXIA HF20/200 has a smaller CMOS sensor and a bit worse lux rating, than the HF10/100.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6

Er, the 58mm lens mount may look awesome, but the S100 has the same lens inside as the HF100 (or essentially the same). When you get your hands on one you will see how small the real lens is. The new cameras have Zebra, but not too much else improved.

Additionally, the 8MP sensor in the new Canons is much lower sensitivity than the HF10 series, which was optimized for 1920x1080. Cam corder info tested the low-light capabilities of both the the S10 and S100 at about half that of the HF100 (look at their Sanyo HD2000 test for the data). Unfortunately, they didn't test 24p, but I would expect it to follow 60i pretty closely.

I just bought an additional HF100 before they went out of production

Pity about the 25p in Europe, I do remember reading that. I don't use the Cine mode, I have used the "custom effects" tweak to notch down the contrast (gamma) and the brightness and the color saturation. Cine mode stops me from adjusting shutter speed on the fly, something I can do with TV mode, and the custom tweaks still give me a better image linearity...

Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:13 PM   #7

So what is the GPS receiver for anyway? So you know where your camera is if you lose it? :lol:

Or are they going to longitude, latitude and altitude to the display information on videos. I can hear it now, "here are our vaction shots at 82W20 39N07 620' on July 14th, 2009 10:30 AM." :-)

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:33 AM   #8

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
So what is the GPS receiver for anyway? So you know where your camera is if you lose it? :lol:

Or are they going to longitude, latitude and altitude to the display information on videos. I can hear it now, "here are our vaction shots at 82W20 39N07 620' on July 14th, 2009 10:30 AM." :-)
Hehe, I don't think it's possible to track it via GPS if camcorder gets lost or stolen, would be nice though, if it got stolen you could just track it down. "Hello that's my camcorder, KAPOOW!!?!"

The GPS is for geo-tagging(very popular with cellphones with built in gps) your video and photos taken by the camcorder. Then with the Sony NAVTEQ, which I think is a miniscule version of googlemaps, you can see(show family and friends) where each photo and video where recorded. Kinda useless if you only shoot at home:G