Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:12 PM   #21

Default Headrest mount

I know what you mean by the headrest mount but I was hoping for something more solid and reliable, such as the following commercial product that I just can't get right now anywhere.

<http://www.markertek.com/Digital-Vid...01-BLACK.xhtml>
camdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:38 PM   #22

that's the one. a simple mod is all it takes. for the GVS its not wort hthe headache, ans the tripod scew eventually comes out.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:07 AM   #23

Okay everyone,
As I promised, here are the pin-outs for the mini USB plug as used by Aiptek for powering and charging the camera at the same time.
First of all, here are the REGULAR pin-outs as they are normally used in USB cables:

These are the regular pin-outs for a Mini USB plug:

(*) Sometimes joined to pin 4 via a resistor

And these are the pin-outs as used by Aiptek in their chargers:

Pins 1/2 and 3 are not used.

A little unorthodox I would say!
As you can see they have used pin 4 for a ground and pin x for VCC
That’s how the camera knows it is not connected to a PC but to a charger.
Using these pin-outs you should be able to make your own wall or car charger that will allow you to use the device as a camera while it is being charged.
The cable colors as used in the tables are “universal” and therefore will be applicable to MOST USB cables. Then again you may find that some manufacturers will use different colors or will have the cables connected to the plug in a different configuration.
So be careful! Always check the connections on your cable before modifying it and/or connecting a power source to it and hooking it up to your camera.
I can not be held responsible for any damage that may occur be cause you haven’t been careful enough.

This pinout has now been tested and found to be working. Please also check the picture a few posts down.

Last edited by Crihz; Jun 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM.
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:28 AM   #24

have you confirmed that the two you are telling the members will run the camera in live mode,charge, and power on to film ?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:49 AM   #25

Nope, I haven't tested this and now that I look at what I wrote down I realize that I had the connector the other way around when probing it. So it should be pins x and 4 instead of pins 1 and 2. Lemme change that quickly.

Actually, that makes it even more unorthodox. Normally pin x is either not connected, connected to GND or connected to GND through a resistor.
Using it as VCC is normally not done.

I'll try and fab up a cable tonight or tomorrow and will let you all know the results.

Last edited by Crihz; Jun 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:11 AM   #26

I ask b/c it takes three if not mistaken. Not holding back,just remembering :lol
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:41 AM   #27

I suspect that in Toshiba Camileo P30 can be the same solution. I will check it when I figure out some sort of support for my car.
By the way - how do you mount such small cams in vehicles? Any ideas?
cbm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:22 PM   #28

Confirmed and tested the pinout....and you know what's really dumb about this whole thing? Just after I completed the test I found there is a little drawing on the charger that indicates these exact same pins!!! here's a pic:

Notice the "CH" part inSA-15P-O5 CH
It's obvious that means it's a Chinese version.

Man, I feel like such a dumb ass....again.

By the way, if opening the camera is skill-level 2, I'd say modding a mini USB connector is skill-level 4. It took me quite some time to take the connector itself apart and modify it to connect the 5V+ to pin x. The problem is pin x doesn't have any "wire" going to it inside the plastic of the connector. So I had to cut part of the plastic away, cut one wire that was in the plastic (connected to pin 3) and bridge that wire with pin x. I then used some glue to fill up the gap I made in the plastic and then put the connector back together.
It would be a lot easier if the back of the connector had 5 pins to start off with...that would simply mean connecting the red wire to the only pin that didn't have a wire connected to it in the first place.

Honestly...if you're not that handy with a soldering iron, just don't give it a go. Buy yourself an Aiptek charger and cut the cable off, just like Fishy did.
Make sure the charger/converter you'll be using in your car has got a decent mA output. The original charger is 2000mA (= 2A!).

@cbm80: Uhm....there's a link at the top of this page that will guide you to a headrest mount...

Last edited by Crihz; Jun 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crihz View Post
@cbm80: Uhm....there's a link at the top of this page that will guide you to a headrest mount...
I know, I've seen it but don't like it. I'm looking for some support which allow me to put camera just at the windshield.
cbm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:28 AM   #30

@cbm80: off topic but still
Camjock uses this type of window mount (I think): http://www.amazon.com/Panavise-809-A.../dp/B000246W3S