Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 1, 2009, 8:35 AM   #1

Hello everybody!

I live in Europe and own the Aiptek AHD C100. I don't know if this model is also available on the US-market. But I think that my problem can be transfered to all Aiptek models.

I use my Aiptek mounted in my car.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV1EIlsT8s

The problem is that the battery doesn't store enough energy for long distance drivings. So I want to use my camera instead of with a battery rather with a car-power-supply.

So here is my problem:

If I use the normal power supply at home, I can use the cam without a battery. So I tried to use the camera in my car with a car-power-supply (-->miniUSB). But the camera thinks, it is connected to a PC an just shows the same menu if it would be connected to a PC via USB.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem

P.S. Sorry for my mistakes in the english language :-)
German Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2

Aiptek sells this accessory:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

I *think* (I could be wrong) this device might provide power that could be utilized to keep the device running.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 12:09 PM   #3

Here is a photo of my wall-charger-details. Purhaps somebody can say something about the pin configuration.

German Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Guy View Post
Hello everybody!

I use my Aiptek mounted in my car.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV1EIlsT8s

The problem is that the battery doesn't store enough energy for long distance drivings. So I want to use my camera instead of with a battery rather with a car-power-supply.

So here is my problem:

If I use the normal power supply at home, I can use the cam without a battery. So I tried to use the camera in my car with a car-power-supply (-->miniUSB). But the camera thinks, it is connected to a PC an just shows the same menu if it would be connected to a PC via USB.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem

P.S. Sorry for my mistakes in the english language :-)
Your problem seems to be a common one with the Aiptek adapters. It seems Aiptek uses a proprietary pinout for its AC wall charger which in my case (Action HD GVS 1080P camcorder) is rated for 2 Amps. It can provide power for simultaneous operation and charging. I suppose the pinout provides + polarity on two pins instead of just one, so one of the + pins charges the battery, the other operates the camcorder. I guess their and other 3rd party car chargers tend to use the standard USB pinout with only one pin for + and that's why you cannot do both charging and running the cam with them at the same time, even if you find a car charger that is rated for 2 Amps. I found one that's used for the TomTom GPS device but even that does not allow running and charging the camcorder. Personally, I don't mind that Aiptek wanted to have a proprietary USB pinout, but I am pissed off that their own car charger is not designed for that and with 2 Amp rating. They have nothing to gain from it, only missing some sales opportunities.

By the way, that YouTube video is great and I wonder what car did you drive there that is so fast. Just how fast did you drive there, anyway? Oh, one more thing: I would be interested in how you mounted your camcorder in your car. Can we have a picture of it?
Danke.
camdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 6:35 AM   #5

german guy...

Grab yourself another Ac adapter from Aiptek, and cut the cord in half. leaving youself enough for the ac plug, and usb side to reconnect.

I taken ANY, any ole dc 12vdc plug that had a rating of 5.0vdc for example. a cellphone dc charger.

I connected, it and said to myself, there you go , do not need what aiptek cannot or will not allow us to do, extend our limits, with teh cams.

you may wantto make connections so, you have the option to make a extended battery pack.

if there is , and sure there is adapters on older models there was just that a adapter usb plug, but older ones difeer from neweraipteks adapters, hope that helped.

was that the Autobaund? wow gotta luv it.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 7:23 AM   #6

Good tip, Fishy.

Then again, you could use a car power inverter to go from 12V to 110V or 220V ("Spannungswandler" auf Deutsch). That way you can just plug the original charger in and even use the inverter to power other devices. Yes, that's the autobahn. Gotta love it, I live close to the German border (just 15 minutes away) myself and just love taking my little Dodge neon for a spin over there ghehe. Pedal to the metal is legal there as you know.
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:17 AM   #7

I placed up a quick video, showing some of the options we have

Ac adapter, dc inverter, dc plugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQRRX0GkDkw
Old May 30, 2009, 6:02 PM   #8

Thanks Fish ,

Nice looking inverter by the way.

You wouldn't happen to have the pin-outs for the USB plug anywhere right?
That way you could use just about any USB cable if you modify it.
I'll try and sort them out one of these days when I'm bored or something and then post them here.

Good call about the NP-60 block-of-wood-battery. I was thinking of making one from an old NP-60 battery.

Cool video, especially the touch screen function ghehehe.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:26 PM   #9

nope, sorry. yep glad you liked it. i filmed on a AHD with a wide angle lens, wish the gvs was like that i was only 3 feet max from the cam, why my handwas touching the lens LOL.
Old May 31, 2009, 7:24 AM   #10

I'll sort the pin-outs out next week. Got too many things to do the next couple of days. I'm thinking of adding an external powerpack to the device. I really don't feel like switching off the camera and swapping NP-60s when I'm shooting a party or something.
Besides, the extra battery pack (I'll velcro it to the cam somewhere) will give the camera some extra weight. Hmmm..A thought just popped up in my mind:
How about an external hot-swapping port for NP-60s?That would mean using up one battery after another without shutting the camera off. A simple mod if you ask me. We could use a cheap NP-60 charger from ebay for a battery-holder. Another thing to try next week.

off topic: Is that the phoenix wide angle lens you were using? What's the problem with the GVS and that same lens?