Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 3, 2009, 9:10 PM   #1

I had this on the back of my mind and finally decided to write it down. basically I wrote a little review with a sample video of this amazing free plugin called Deshaker for VirtualDub.

All I can say is that after using it for 3 times or so, I can't believe how shaky my videos were before post-processing..

The review and link with samples is over here:
http://www.freewareguy.com/2009/05/r...m-your-videos/

subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2

If you increase the time constants in Pass 2 then you can get even more stable video. I usually run with about 2500 for H and V panning smoothness, and 1500 for rotational. Extrapolate colors into border, and search about +-4 frames to fill in borders. Don't click "soft borders." It is terribly slow...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3

nice tips Trevmar.

There really is a series of tricks to speed up the stabilization. I am considering doing a step by step tutorial about it, since I read in another thread about a user complaining on how painfully slow this plugin was. That video took about a minute or two to stabilize.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:02 PM   #4

does this aid with hand shake, or the waviness caused by the cmos rolling shutter?
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
does this aid with hand shake, or the waviness caused by the cmos rolling shutter?
Rolling shutter is a very complicated thing to fix really. Altough some people claim this plugin will remove rolling shutter, the reality is that the results obtained are subpar and very artificial looking. DeShaker will only aid to remove and greatly minimize the shake caused by handheld shooting or otherwise abrupt movements on the camera while recordings.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6

Oh by the way, it appears that 'The Foundry' is working on a plugin (currently Beta) to completely remove the rolling shutter, stretching, shrinking and shearing on videos from cameras with CMOS sensors.

Demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89s0uVQ1IhA