Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 4, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1

Howdy. I've been checking out the boards for a few weeks anticipating a camcorder purchase and I've narrowed it down to these two. These seem to be the most popular pair, each with its own quirks. At their current firmware state, anyone have a preference between these two? Does one seem more durable/reliable than the other? Anyone own both? Thanks for the help.

Melonhead
Melonhead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2

I own both the DXG-595v and Aiptek GVS. It's a close call but I'd go with the GVS. Both take great video but the GVS has better focus, and zooms in and out much faster and quieter. Plus when the DXG-595v zooms in and out you can hear the motor sound which is also caught on video. The DXG slightly loses focus when it zooms in and out, no issue for the GVS. The DXG seems to be constructed better as far as feel but you get used to the light-weightedness of the GVS. The sound seems to be much crisper with the GVS as well. Only advantage that DXG-595v has is an LED light which works for taking pictures, not much help for video as neither are that great in low light. In broad daylight or well lit room, video is awesome for both. I've used both to film sporting events indoors like basketball games and that is more than sufficient lighting to get clear video. Another thing I like is the pistol grip of the GVS, easier to maintain steadiness especially when filming in 1080P, as neither has stabalizaton in this mode, both have it at 720P 60FPS. But overall the pistol grip is a more comfortable grip. Let's see, also the GVS fits comfortaly in your back pocket, the DXG, not so much. Both take good pictures, slight edge to the DXG since it has an LED light for darker environments. Well that's what I can think of to this point, let me know if you have any questions.

Melonhead11 wrote:
Quote:
Howdy. I've been checking out the boards for a few weeks anticipating a camcorder purchase and I've narrowed it down to these two. These seem to be the most popular pair, each with its own quirks. At their current firmware state, anyone have a preference between these two? Does one seem more durable/reliable than the other? Anyone own both? Thanks for the help.

Melonhead
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 9:02 PM   #3

I should mention, thiscamcorder will also be taking the place of my old Canon Powershot A40, so stills are a big and perhaps primary concern. I guess that was part of the reason I was leaning towards the DXG. However, if there are still issues with the sound and focus on zoom, I may have to reconsider.

Melonhead
Old May 5, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4

Thing about Aiptek and DXG models is that they are primarily camcorders that take decent stills as well, although definitely not in the same class as a stand alone digital camera. Hybrids such as DXG and Aiptek are getting better though at balancing the two functions. However it would be hard to replace a straight up digital camera with one of these, it's more like it might be good to have one of these in addition to your Canon. I'm looking forward to the next upgrade for the DXG

10 MP stills in addition to the HD video. All in all, main reason to get these HD camcorders is if you have an HDTV as well, which I'm assuming you have. That really brings out the life in this videos, viewing on PC doesn't do it any justice.

Melonhead11 wrote:
Quote:
I should mention, thiscamcorder will also be taking the place of my old Canon Powershot A40, so stills are a big and perhaps primary concern. I guess that was part of the reason I was leaning towards the DXG. However, if there are still issues with the sound and focus on zoom, I may have to reconsider.

Melonhead
Old May 5, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5

The Canon A40 is like a 2MP digital camera, so I'm sure either one of these deviceswould be an upgrade. I know these camcorders won't compare with a digital camera on stills, but I figure I could get something adequate and at the same time have something HD videocapable in one inexpensive package. Yes, I plan on recording family gatherings and sporting events with this thing to view on an HDTV.

When's the next DXG coming out?

Melonhead
Old May 5, 2009, 12:21 PM   #6

5mb, continous or dual record, there are a good amount offeatures on a low budget others overlook.

We said how can we grab a HD video snap, and here we are.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 12:58 PM   #7

Wish I knew because I'm looking forward to this next release but I think I'll let other people test it out b4 coming on board. I believe the DXG will be on display @ some show in Asia next month so I'm thinking it will be released not too long after. I wonder if Aiptek has something up their sleeve as well. Yeah I'm sure the image quality will be better than your current canon for the GVS and DXG so I would say it would be an upgrade.

Melonhead11 wrote:
Quote:
The Canon A40 is like a 2MP digital camera, so I'm sure either one of these deviceswould be an upgrade. I know these camcorders won't compare with a digital camera on stills, but I figure I could get something adequate and at the same time have something HD videocapable in one inexpensive package. Yes, I plan on recording family gatherings and sporting events with this thing to view on an HDTV.

When's the next DXG coming out?

Melonhead
Old May 5, 2009, 7:19 PM   #8

http://cgi.ebay.com/FULL-HD-1440X108...3A7%7C294%3A50

The SVP T-500 seems to resemble the Aiptek in both look and features with a "High Class Leather Body". You don't happen to have one of these, too, do you ya?
Old May 5, 2009, 7:53 PM   #9

Don't have one myself but have heard about it. Don't know much about performance either. I would say Aiptek at this point is more respected and proven, lots of clones out there but personally I'd rather go with something I recognize or has a good track record.

Melonhead11 wrote:
Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FULL-HD-1440X108...3A7%7C294%3A50

The SVP T-500 seems to resemble the Aiptek in both look and features with a "High Class Leather Body". You don't happen to have one of these, too, do you ya?