Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 5, 2009, 9:55 AM   #1

I recently bought a GVS and it has been pretty wierd. I shot some footage and watched it on my non HD TV. It looked good, clear and crisp. Then I imported it onto my computer and it looks pretty terrible, grainy in low light and blocky and pixelated in perfect light. I tried it on a regular PC with a good monitor, and on my MacBook Pro, both looked bad. I have some video from a Flip MinoHD and it looks much better then the GVS... Why would this be? Is there a diferent way to get the clips at higher quality then just hooking it up to the USB? Also, the sound quality is really off. It is ok for quite noises, but anything loud and it gets really rough and cuts out. I also have the new firmware...
patric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2

What software are you using to play the files? Don't use quicktime, somehow doesn't play the files very well, use the Arcsoft digital theatre, plays the files the way the should.

I hope someday you can invest in an HDTV, then you'll really be amazed at the video quality, playing on PC is just a preview.

patric wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought a GVS and it has been pretty wierd. I shot some footage and watched it on my non HD TV. It looked good, clear and crisp. Then I imported it onto my computer and it looks pretty terrible, grainy in low light and blocky and pixelated in perfect light. I tried it on a regular PC with a good monitor, and on my MacBook Pro, both looked bad. I have some video from a Flip MinoHD and it looks much better then the GVS... Why would this be? Is there a diferent way to get the clips at higher quality then just hooking it up to the USB? Also, the sound quality is really off. It is ok for quite noises, but anything loud and it gets really rough and cuts out. I also have the new firmware...
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 2:07 PM   #3

I have used quicktime, VLC, iMovie, and Final Cut Pro to play the files and they all look about the same. I will probably end up getting a HDTV someday but for now Im just wondering why the quality is so different from other cheap HD cameras. I make DVDs and people watch them on all kinds of TVs and computers, so I want the quality to look great on everything. It is still a step up from my old Panasonic GS-150 though.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4

Also, when I try to put the footage into final cut pro 5, it comes up with a problem and wont take the file. It says error, unknown file type. Why would this be??
Old May 11, 2009, 7:17 PM   #5

I noticed that it looks terrible using quicktime also and looks great with Arcsoft. I don't think it is included anymore though.
Also,if you have an HD Monitor it looks just as good as on an HD TV.
MFlanders is offline   Reply With Quote