Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 14, 2009, 4:43 PM   #1

Default Aiptek Z700 mic input mono or stereo?

Hi,
My name is Ronny from Sweden and I am since yesterday the proud owner of a Aiptek Z700. Before I rush out tomorrow to buy an external mic for my Z700 i wounder if anybody knows if the microphone input is for a mono or stereo microphone?

I will use the external mic when I make videos riding my vintage bike and mount it out of the wind to get rid of the wind noice.

/Ronny
Znabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2009, 4:45 PM   #2

B.T.W. I forgot to thank you all on this forum for all the great input and information about the Aiptek Z700.
Old May 14, 2009, 5:41 PM   #3

thought the info was posted at the site aiptek.com?

mic is stereo. ext mic is left /right stereo seehow I did not say internal left right stereo LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 5:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
thought the info was posted at the site aiptek.com?

mic is stereo. ext mic is left /right stereo seehow I did not say internal left right stereo LOL
Thanks for your answere fishycomics! Now I will go hunting for a stereo microphone.

I know that the built in mic is stereo but regarding the external input specs on both aiptek.com and aiptek.eu it only says "external microphone jack". Even if the built in mic is stereo does not mean I can take for granted that the external mic input is, hence my question.
Old May 15, 2009, 2:24 PM   #5

have you tried doing a simple test ofplugging the cables in rca white and red, yellow is video and testing off the pins. if that is to hard (lol) use a head set and talk in the left ear, then the right, they act as mics
Old May 15, 2009, 3:01 PM   #6
conor

The only portable device i've ever seen that had a stereo microphone was a minidisk recorder. usually, mics are mono and the signal is doubled somewhere in the electronics to give an output in both left and right channels.

of course, I cannot speak to this device.

if you have the mic that came with it, check the microphone plug - if it has three bands of nickel, its stereo, if it only has two bands, its mono.

Edit:
The manual says: Microphone internal (stereo); external mic jack (which tells you nothing).
If the device didn't come with a mic, and you have a mono microphone (which is the normal kind you might have for your computer), record some audio, play it back connected to another source, and pan the balance back and forth, if you lose audio on one side (on the right), the external microphone jack is PROBABLY stereo.

Last edited by conor; May 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:57 AM   #7

After some hesitation (thought you were pulling my leg there fishycomics) I tried you'r tip regarding plugging in a earphone headset in the mic input and talk in the left and then right ear AND IT WORKS!
By the way try to make a mental picture of my wife walking by the door while I was shouting in the headset asking kindly, what are you doing dear. :-)

When i then played the video on my computer it was the same sound coming from both speakers.

Conclution: As Conor is saying, the mic input is mono but gives sound to both left and right channel.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:29 AM   #8

i got a lil common sense, to test myself,and then tell ya to try it. so yep it works.

this is not a professional model. so do notexpect it to be stereo left, stereo right, wish it was LOL so we have to say mono right, mono left andno NR or dolby