Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 30, 2009, 9:34 AM   #1

Default Vivitar DVR 840XHD

Has anyone played with this model - it looks interesting.
Compucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2

Great find! I think it's the same camera as the Toshiba Camileo H20. Looks like Vivitar has released it's 2009 line of low cost hybrids, and some of 'em are identical to Toshiba's models and probably others as well.

I'm too lazy to add the specs to each camera so visit their site for that. http://vivitar.com/products.php#
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3

bought one and I can't say that I'm at all impressed. I even got a hell of a deal at BuyDig.com for $109 shipped! it's cheapest at $199 elsewhere.

this camera met all of my requirements being flash based, hd capable (thought it doesn't do true 1080p), optical zoom, barrel design, etc. played with it a bit over the weekend.

so here's what I found:

720p with image stabilization, 1440x1080 (not true 1080p) with no image stabilization. and has WVGA, VGA and QVGA (the last three of which I was not interested with nor did I try). but the video shot in the HD modes is so jittery and jumpy with img stabilization on OR off that it's unwatchable on my computer and through my AppleTV. It would not connect to my 1080p capable HDTV so I can't say there. (I have an iMac and used VLC to play. I realize this cam recommends Windows and has software on a CD, but c'mon it's supposed to be an H264 AVI file which I have many of on my Mac and they play with no issue.) Also, when zooming it's jumpy too.

The mic is on the foldout lens and being at the end I found my fingers constantly near it or covering it. the sound doesn't really pick up much either. my voice was fine, but my child's voice a few feet away was barely audible.

the still cam function was not a factor for me as I have a nice point and shoot, but the pic quality was sub par and grainy even on the highest setting.

I have to say I was really dissapointed with this (had high hopes), but I'm going to play with the VGA modes and see what the quality looks like.

[edit] just did a VGA and it's the same way when played back... it's jumpy and jittery even with img stab turned on and worse when zooming.

Last edited by harkjohnny; Jun 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
harkjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:10 PM   #4

Welcome harkjohnny,

Could you post a videoclip showing the jumpy and jittery? I'd like to see how bad it is. Have you tried using a tripod?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:28 PM   #5

rather pointless to be using a tripod.... my kids don't stay that still.

here's the link to a YouTube upload....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrlGv-ESxog

note: you can hear the w/t rocker button as I release it too each time after a zoom

interestingly enough I added this review to the product page on BuyDig.com. They deleted it. Rather annoying

Last edited by harkjohnny; Jun 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:07 PM   #6

That same camera just keeps poppin' up everywhere.
I've seen it under a whole bunch of brand names. This is the version without the remote control, right?

It does look like something is wrong with yours. I'm not sure but I haven't seen anyone with footage as bad as this (unless they are suffering from a handicap or Parkinson's or something). Don't think a FW upgrade will do anything to fix this.

Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:18 PM   #7

my take on it, is very simple. video is to hard to tell.

looks like you have the stabilization off, and panning to any given spot, and zooming in to short of time. and gone into digital zoom.

1 film, in wide 0. x optical 10 sec, no movement, zoom same spot a few oticals in, 10 sec or more, till you are at full, if filming short burst not a thing can besaid. longer is better, bu will bore some LOL
not to move side to side

use a object, if you need to show us the WOBBLE, then concitrate on something that will break the scene.

Stab, is on same thing
the wobble is the digital zoom portion , and the shake you see comes from part of the body as well. no tripod never a steady shot. i at times will shake, or my pulse , or a throbbing sensations passes into the cam., and I get the exact same thing

The zoom, andclicking is the sensitive mic, not thing we can do. if in a loud enviorement, it goes away. solice it is heard. If you're hearing hear noise, yes a Firmware patch will cure it but may have other issues. locate the DXG stickie

I do not own this model but i keep tabs at times.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:23 PM   #8

look like the same cam Crihz, just a little different exterior, but with the same lens, strap, power button, zoom button, etc.

sorry fishy, but it was in standard VGA mode (forgot to change it back to HD), had stabilization on and was still in optical zoom mode (specs say it's 5x optical).... and I had my elbow resting on my desk.

my 8 year old Canon Z30 would be steadier on a rollercoaster than this thing.

nothing more I can shoot now, it's already well on it's way back via UPS.

well, I wanted to post here because I was so disappointed with it and another had asked about it. before I bought it I scoured the web and could find no info... but took the leap of faith and purchased anyway.

Last edited by harkjohnny; Jun 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:01 PM   #9

As I said thegvs shows the same . with or w/ot stabilization.
and I am sure it is a defect, glad to see yo madea right choice.
but again to show sucha fast in/out does not cut it at times but it shows just that.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:04 AM   #10

harkjohnny,

That jerky and jittery in your video must be a defect. Although you are panning and zooming around fast, still it shouldn't be like in your clip. Fast movement with these low cost CMOS based cameras, do create a lot of rolling shutter/wobble effect. You have to pan and move around slower, or risk your family getting seasick/dizzy from watching your videos.

Most of these hybrid cameras are quite small so the mic is easily picks up buttonclicks, zoom noise, hand touching the camera and so on.

Last edited by adalfa; Jun 3, 2009 at 8:06 AM.