Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:13 AM   #1

Default Defected Gvs & Z700 unit?

Hi

I bought this Aiptek Z700 model im quite happy because this one have one dead pixel center screen also firmware checking confirm this,before im keeping this i want to ask how common these have dead pixel problem if i swap this one for new or return and maybe buy another if it easier.

Ok,my main question is have anyone had issue with sound that dissappiers while filming and coming back later?,i was filming 1 hour concert and 10 minutes were totally cuttet off,well camera shows it but wont play(damn!)if this is widely known problem,is it all about firmware.

Btw Quicktime pro plays it but 10minutes off sound are missing.Is there perhaps prosessing time for video when you stop filming and closing lcd screen

My firmware is december 2008

Card Transend 8gb sdhc class 6

Personal use only,so i cant post 3,21 Gt video 720p 60fps + stabilization on.
Great forum!
aiptekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:32 AM   #2

Welcome to the board.

fw is a number, not a date.

defective camera yes, how often, non, sum, most, all. I say when they make a batch a Lott, that 144 cameras or as crates are the defects so there are batchs of defective ones out there, FW wil not fix defects, or will it, I say return get a new one then decide

corrected, no caffeen in am hours

Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:54 AM   #3

I have to agree with Fishy, this most definately sounds like a defect because closing the screen while recording should not give you this kind of effect...

What is the exact firmware version?

I'm copying the SD-card info for the SD-card thread.

Last edited by Crihz; Jun 3, 2009 at 6:15 AM.
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:02 PM   #4

If there are sound issues then it's definitely defective and you should return it regardless of stuck/dead pixel issues. As to the dead pixel, I would return it even if that was the only defect, especially if it's in the middle where it would be more noticeable and annoying! Although Dead or Stuck pixels are not uncommon in cameras, you don't have to just accept it. The odds of getting a clean one in exchange are very much in your favor. I have had to return cameras for this myself. Often, the main reason many are reluctant to exchange, is the concern that the new one may have more or one that's in a worse place!

I have to say that I am one of those, who once they notice a dead or stuck pixel it bothers me forever more, so I always exchange them. I had to do this with a recent digital camera I bought for my wife which had a single annoying blue stuck pixel. Of course, some friends would say "only YOU would notice it lol" while others would say "exchange it".

By the way, don't confuse camera manufacturer policies on image sensor pixel defects with LCD defects though. Often they will state that having a bad pixel or two on the LCD is 'normal' but I have never seen them state this for the sensor itself so don't feel bad for wanting to get one with a pristine sensor!

It would be nice if some of the more expensive consumer digital cameras at least had the ability to map out bad pixels like the digital SLR's!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:07 PM   #5

When I first got my GVS, I immediately plugged it into the wall charger and turned it on and saw a dead pixel in middle of the screen. I decided to let it charge up all the way to decide if I wanted to just exchange the camera or go with something else.

Anyway, after a few hours, I turned it on and the dead pixel was completely gone. There is no sign of it on the LCD screen or in the videos I've taken. Not sure if the dead pixel is related to low battery charge or something...
athakur999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:48 PM   #6

I have one in the middle of the screen as well. A "stuck" pixel that is.
Sometimes it's visible, sometimes it isn't, especially when using the nightshot mode you should be able to see it when placing the lenscap on.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:56 AM   #7

Bad sensor pixels appear clearly when matrix gets warmer. Especially during longer filming in low light situations at increased ISO. My first Camileo P30 I bought had 6 (!) white pixels in central area of the screen. But they were only visible during test recording inside home. Outside even 45min long recording didn't give me any bad pixel. So it needs careful testing. Of course I exchanged the camera. Luckilly Toshiba doesn't say anything about bad pixel limit in manual (on LCD neither sensor) so I had no problem with getting new one. But remaining with camera with even 1 white pixel is completly unacceptable for me. It should be at least fixed by service pixel remapping.
cbm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:20 PM   #8

I'm not sure if remapping is possible with these cams.
Like you said it doesn't even show under normal (outside) conditions. And yes, mine's a CMOS pixel, not an LCD screen pixel.