Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:42 PM   #21

Grrr. Incompetent online shop where I tried to order the camera... Finally I got a clear status from them after delaying this for 5 days :-( (Don't order at Conrad! Really. I mean it. They just earn money with you by forcing you to call their expensive hotlines.) Cancelled it there and ordered in another online store. Should get delivered until the weekend, hopefully even earlier!

Cheers,
Koepi

Edit: Wow. The other shop seems to work nice. Ordered yesterday evening and now got the mail with the tracking link for the delivery. Should arrive tomorrow :-)

Last edited by Koepi; Jul 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:52 PM   #22

Ok, the camera arrived today!

It is quite well finished compared to older Aiptek models and the Praktica DVC 5.2.
The Aiptek AHD H5 Extreme really offers 1920x1080p recording. The bitrate is at 10 MBit/s.

I made some test clips, joined them together and downscaled the result to 1280x720p for a Youtube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSJFNHVgOpc
Since I didn't take the tripod with me the clips are quite shaking, especially when zooming in.

As you want to see the original resolution too I also uploaded a longer clip to vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/5844869 - there you can download the source file for a week starting today.

Mediainfo output:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 41.8 MiB
Duration : 34s 768ms
Overall bit rate : 10.1 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-07-30 18:58:20
Tagged date : UTC 2009-07-30 18:58:20
AMBA :

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 34s 768ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.000
Stream size : 41.2 MiB (99%)
Title : Ambarella AVC / Ambarella AVC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 34s 730ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 543 KiB (1%)
Title : Ambarella AAC / Ambarella AAC

I can't tell to much about the sound quality yet, but it is a bit too silent. Have to test more though to get a better impression.

Edit:
A lowlight test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLTNJE0kmw
The first 2 clips are taken in standard mode, the last third with nightshot mode.

Cheers,
Koepi

Last edited by Koepi; Jul 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:52 AM   #23

Congrats on your new hybrid camera, Koepi. It's good to hear that build quality has improved since earlier models. The full HD video looks good, although 10Mbps might be a little low for complex scenes.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:17 PM   #24

Hi adalfa,

thanks Unfortunately you can always hear the click at the end of a clip when you press the stop button. The sound quality seems to be far superior compared to older Aiptek cameras like the AHD200 and 300.

I made another test clip this morning and used the tripod. Complexity is in these scenes - the leafs of the trees and the gras is moving. With a too low bitrate you'd only see blocks instead of details, so the bitrate seems to be sufficient.

I took a close look at the original resolution clips. You can see that the quality jumps sometimes a little bit (depending on the complexity of the scene) at a frame and improves within 4-5 frames again. The effect isn't too bad and should be only visible if you know what to look for. A higher bitrate might indeed help the quality. But the usual user of these kind of cameras wouldn't even see this effect, I guess.

Click on HD on the youtube clips and then choose full screen display so you can see the details (though they suffered already: downscaled with lanczos resize to 1280x720 and reencoded with x264 at qf22, then reeencoded again from youtube...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3huVd9S9I

Another upload of the clip, this time in original resolution, muxed to mkv, so only Youtube reencodes it - might have better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hliFQM51Xo

I like the quality of the full 1920x1080p clips though!

Cheers,
Koepi

Last edited by Koepi; Aug 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:53 PM   #25

Congrads. and how much time will it be for one to load a rawfootage to a Direct download site ((smies))

theclick at the end can always be edited. cushion behind the switch, maybe a softer figer touch>?

the Cow is bright lov that part. the sound is HIGH just listen as if the car was passing.

never tryingto sond Like I am picking on the clips, they are sweet! just noticable stuff like wobble was present on a clip LOL.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:51 PM   #26

I'm not proud of the clips, I just run around a usual round here and point the camera at those places where I pass. At the end, I'm currently just testing and try to find out how to handle the camera the best possible way.

The wobble stems from first not touching the camera and then touching it for pressing the stop button; also the tripod isn't made for panning, it "stutters" in such situations.

One raw file you can get at the vimeo link I posted 3/4 posts before this one. I also uploaded a clip to mediafire now: http://www.mediafire.com/?wxma3m5mmje

By the way there was mist this morning, it's not that the camera produces "washed out" images Oh, and behind the apple trees you can see hop. In this region most of the hop (used for brewing beer) of germany is grown. Fascinating how very basic farming and high tech (software development) are so close together.

Cheers
Koepi
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:01 PM   #27

Signed up just to thank you for uploading the raw video. This looks like a camcorder I want. Please upload another raw or two (maybe lowlight?) if you have the chance.

Anyone know of online sellers of this cam who ship internationally?

edit: Another thing - why do the colors on this cam look a lot better than on the ActionHD GVS/Z700? It also seems to preserve a lot more detail than the Z700. It seems like a big improvement. (I'm using MPC-HC to play all videos; in VLC the colors are washed out.)

Last edited by creamyhorror; Aug 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:29 AM   #28

You're welcome, creamyhorror!

More details are simple to explain: real 1920x1080 (H5 Pro/Extreme) vs 1440x1080 anamorph (non-square pixels) which get stretched to 1920x1080 on playback (until now all other budget hybrids claiming 1080p resolution).

I uploaded 2 lowlight test files as a zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?ndxyme2jziy
and another clip with nature (and "shaky" tripod ): http://www.mediafire.com/?qwkgqtmukli

I like to point out that the light conditions in sunset are complicated to handle for cameras - the aiptek copes quite well with that.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:07 AM   #29

Thanks for the new raw clips! The quality of the night/lowlight shots is kind of expected, given the price of this camera. The panning shot seems a little more problematic, though - during the pan, it looks like the camera either can't stay in focus or has a bitrate that is too low. I'm assuming it's the focus problem? (Sorry, I'm quite clueless about photography.) What do you all think about the performance in that clip?

Thanks for the information about this capturing full 1920x1080, I somehow had the impression the GVS/Z700 took full 1080p too instead of anamorphic.

As others observed earlier, it looks like the camera captures 1080p at 9.7-10mbps, with higher values for lowlight shots. Any idea about the 720p mode? Is the bitrate decent?

Finally, I found a site called espow.com carrying the H5 at $269 (without shipping). Anyone heard of or dealt with them? And are there other international retailers you know of?

Last edited by creamyhorror; Aug 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:35 AM   #30

I just made another clip during a short thunderstorm. We're coming close to the complexity of white noise You should look at it maybe frame by frame. Then you can judge if the camera gets out of focus (I wouldn't say it does) and how the bitrate limit makes the codec cope with highly complex material (moving trees with leafs and rain).
http://www.mediafire.com/?ykyzn4meg2l

Cheers
Koepi