Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:59 PM   #41

I have to check that clip at work tomorrow - here on my netbook at 1024x600 pixels resolution I don't see the rain on your clip, but I can hear it. Yes, hissing is there nearly the same as with the H5 Extreme.

I reviewed a few clips from the Praktica and compared them side-by-side with the Aiptek clips. It seems that the bitrate of 10 MBit is indeed a little too low and should be higher. The compression "washes out" some details sometimes which make the Aiptek look less detailed than the Praktica from time to time.

On the other hand, the wobbling is way worse with the Praktica. I made a clip holding the cameras in the hand, without tripod. While the Aiptek delivers quite good images, the Praktica is very sensitive to shaking and shows a strong rolling shutter effect. Only when zooming in, I can see a small wobble effect with the Aiptek. Maybe there is some kind of stabilizer at work without Aiptek advertising for that?

Cheers
Koepi

Last edited by Koepi; Aug 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:57 PM   #42

In comparing the various clips, I think the H5's encoder settings attempt to preserve more fine motion detail than other cameras' encoders. You can see the rain much more clearly on the H5's video than on the GVS/Z700's or HD700's. Attempting to preserve more motion detail results in more compression artifacts ("bitrate starvation"), which is what we're seeing. In still shots, the H5 shines.

It would be really nice if Aiptek had increased the bitrate limit...but are they likely to in the future? Should we send feedback/requests?

Too bad they didn't inplement constant-quality (CRF) encoding like x264 offers. Though that might not even be possible with this sort of camera.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamyhorror View Post
In comparing the various clips, I think the H5's encoder settings attempt to preserve more fine motion detail than other cameras' encoders. You can see the rain much more clearly on the H5's video than on the GVS/Z700's or HD700's. Attempting to preserve more motion detail results in more compression artifacts ("bitrate starvation"), which is what we're seeing. In still shots, the H5 shines.

It would be really nice if Aiptek had increased the bitrate limit...but are they likely to in the future? Should we send feedback/requests?

Too bad they didn't inplement constant-quality (CRF) encoding like x264 offers. Though that might not even be possible with this sort of camera.
You have to remember this is a low price HD camera, yet the Aiptek's 10Mbps bitrate for the GVS/HD5 isn't bad at all. Sanyo's HD2000 still only shoots at 12Mbps in the equivalent mode and it's MSRP is more than twice the MSRP of the Aiptek. I compared MSRP to be fair and also point out that the Highend Sanyo's tend to be sold near MSRP while the Aiptek's don't which makes them even more of a bargain.

Personally I don't think you will be dissapointed with Aiptek's latest HD cameras. They easily give the Sanyo's line of HD cameras a run for their money in my opinion.

I like the pistol grip designs but feel the $6-700 of the HD2000 is a little too rich for my taste. The FH1 alternative is much more reasonably priced at just over $400 but I much prefer pistol grip design so the GVS was a good alternative for the time being.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:35 AM   #44

As I've seen some clips from people driving around I thought I'll add to those kind of clips ;-) The clip has been done during sunset so you can see the lowlight capabilities of the Aiptek AHD H5 Extreme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQmWfyxW4Tk
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koepi View Post
As I've seen some clips from people driving around I thought I'll add to those kind of clips ;-) The clip has been done during sunset so you can see the lowlight capabilities of the Aiptek AHD H5 Extreme.
upsetting wit hte sound, very tinny, if the cam has a autofocus, then it must be locked, if it has. the film bounces.

liked it soft video, not as sharp as the GVS or if it is youtube . every video differs
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:17 PM   #46

@koepi
do you have recording samples of a music show?
perhaps the tiny sound means lesser sensitivity than GVS?
the_vishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:36 PM   #47

Zoom
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ZOO-Q3-LIST
640x480 res. info located at site ifyou're interested in a few hundred smackers.

Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koepi View Post
Yeah the sound does seem a bit lacking in this video. I have to agree with Fishycomics.

I find the best place to mount a camera (provided you have no passenger of course) is to use the headrest as a clamp. I have found it to be relatively vibration free.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:25 PM   #49

corect the seat is a cushion, shock absorber so when hitting that dam pothole its smooth sailing, wish i couldsasy the same for a boat LOL. wish the boat was operationable be filming.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:27 PM   #50

Don't judge the sound quality by the background music. It might fool you that it's this distorted in its original form. You may argue though that the microphone doesn't seem to pick up bass too well.
Also the clima was running all the time. I think the camera got the sound of the blinking light (right word?) quite well.

I maybe try the mounting the camera at the headrest. Though the car is relatively new and I fear I don't get it back in its correct position again ;-)