Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:22 PM   #1

Default What is the smallest Video recorder

I want a portable video recorder for 640x480 or 720x480 (DV) from an NTSC composite video source.

Are there any of the digicams which will do this, and are really small?
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:29 PM   #2

If you googled , you pulled up this model. 230.00 by this website
http://nservices.com/wireless3.htm?O...D=202337214021

I think I will be happ with a AHD series from Aiptek, thank you.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:53 AM   #3

Trevmar, it sounds like you're interested in a hybrid with video-in. This feature, and the size, are listed in the Hybrid List at the start of this topic. There are 20-30 models with video-in, and some of those are as small as 134 cubic centimetres. Most of them are from Digilife, SVP and First One Technologies. The very smallest "hybrids"/pen cams don't seem to have this feature.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgspirit View Post
There are 20-30 models with video-in, and some of those are as small as 134 cubic centimetres.
Thanks Fishy and Sgspirit. I know there are a lot of models available, but the charts don't show me which work well, and which work poorly. Or do they all work well? And yes, an AHD unit had crossed my mind
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:22 AM   #5

Default Best pocket size HD camcorder?

Hallo from Sweden! Looking for the best lightweight, pocket size HD PAL camcorder - optimally 100g-200g, easy to use and good quality and reasonable price. Nice to have would be as well good low-light shooting, good stabiliser and quality stills. I have seen impressive reviews of the AHD Aiptec camcoders. Then we have the Flip Mino HD, Creative Labs Vado Pocket Video Cam , Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG9, Kodak Zi6, Insignia NS-DCC5HB09, and probably more. I have also spotted Chinese camcorder - CVFU-DV05 - it has impressive specs and they ship to Sweden too ... Recently, I have read about the new Sony Webbie ...

So, all this together makes me rather confused - I do not want to buy just a toy ... but I am doubtfull to spend for example the money Sony is asking for their top models such as the HDR-TG7VE.

Any advice? Thanks.
Jaros1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:47 AM   #6

Trevmar, the two I posted are as what you asked for, and as I mention the AHD 720P, showing you the AHD+1080p, there is a difference. The Difference of the AHD and the AHD+:

AHD is a 720P video camcorder, with the AV input @740x480 sterio.
AHD+ is a 1080P video camcorder wit the AV input @640x480 sterio.

The AHD+ has the 60fps in two modes, and a octive less, in lower level lighting of theAHD.

Below is your sample of the AHD+ as my other cam is lent out. As you notice , I am the only one here of many that goes out of my way to answer, with a video.

The Aiptek in the North America region is the most common, and very easy to get hands on in the stores. These two models ran at one time as high as 200.00, and found as low as 79.99 Nov, 2008

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LUWNGPOJ

AHD+ 640x480 res av input.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:52 PM   #7

Thanks for that clip from VLIW, fishy

Since you say that A-HD+ is better in lower lighting levels, I guess I will start looking around for one at a good price. I actually didn't buy one when they were dirt cheap at Target last year. Silly me
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:06 AM   #8

I've bought Toshiba Camileo P30 - it should be available also in Sweden. I'm very happy with my purchase. It was cheap but quality is really impressive, of course mainly outside. All small sensor cameras suffer low light situations and generally noise. On 8GB microSDHC with adapter I can store 2:15 hours of FHD qulity video (1440x1080). Later I resize it to 1280x720 and recompress to XVID avi to play on my standalone HD player.
Direct recording in HD mode (720p) gives much worse results due to probably relatively low bitrate, you loose a lof details.
I noticed it also in many samples from other cameras, for example Aiptek.
cbm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:40 PM   #9

I said the ocitve is less, meaning the AHD is the better
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:10 PM   #10

Thank you, CBM80, I will check out the Toshiba!
By the way, the Flip camcorders - even the original one, were in tests reported as having good low light performance ... but they have just 1.5 inch screens which I find too small and inconvenient.
Jaros1f is offline   Reply With Quote