Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:27 AM   #1

Default Addressed to Aiptek: Action HD GVS, not a stereo camcorder or is it.

Some members have asked is this a stereo mic, Int / Ext.
So I addressed the conceern to Aiptek, when they respond, you'll get your answer.

this is my video sent.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lR4Z6fjf8s

Andif I looked like thecourt jesture. tell me mostwill not post theiraddressedissue in thecomment, and this will just fade away.

22 views andonly one comment and ofcourse one is a total joke.

Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 22, 2009 at 5:49 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:46 PM   #2

My oh my didI goof, I thought I had it all done pact, and forgotto add this clip in, I feel Like I am a real court Jesture.

So I wil ltell you what I did I had a stereo wire, and thought I toucch only one side to a mic and recorded this what do you think happened?
the actual vidwill be up forDl at youtube land
Again addressed my issue, and two members post that i do not know ifit relates to my response.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:52 PM   #3

The answer:

The internal mic is indeed stereo. Place your finger on one of the two "grills" that are in front of the two mics on the camera. Gently blow some air on the mic or speak into the mic. Now do the same thing with the other grill and play back your recording on a PC or TV. It really is stereo!

Then do the same for the external input (more or less the way you showed in the video). That's a mono input for sure.

Now why make this a mono input when you already have a stereo input onboard?! Beats me. maybe they didn't want to add an extra circuit to the mainboard to keep the price low. Or maybe they didn't feel like using a cheap solution (switchable jack connector), as this might cause problems with the internal mics after heavy use of the jack for a long time.

Then again, MOST external mics are mono mics. Even the more expensive mics like my Sennheiser MKE 300 only have a mono jack plug.

We could of course mod the internal mics connections and hook them up to the (or some other "to be modded in") external jack.

Last edited by Crihz; Jun 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM.
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:34 AM   #4

Like I said I am not the one who wanted to know, so I made myself a court Jester.
I will look into this, and, sure enough I did the Mic is indeed a stereo left seperate right. if only and only thatAiptek placed it further then closer then we have seperation if they placed the internal mics on thebody we have seperation.
Ext mic is a garanteed Mono and like you said troubles but hye again i was not the curious cat here. Lol
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:16 PM   #5

I've been giving this some more thought and have come up with the following:
Placement of the mics:
Yes, they are most definately too close together. It doesn't make any sence at all, cause this setup will never get you any stereo-effects. What would happen when you would place the right channel mic on the other side of the cam (in the housing)? Most likely the mic wil pick up some of the zoom-noises and maybe even some interference from the on-board electronics...which could be shielded with sheet-metal IMHO.

Then there's the issue of the mono external input:
As an addition to what I've said earlier I think we should consider the pre-amps that are obviously set at a very high amplification level causing quite a bit of hiss already (and even more when recording at full optical zoom). These might be inadequate for usage with external mics.
Or maybe, like on my camera, they already use the stereo input for the video-in recording function (bypassing the pre-amps). I dunno, I'm just guessin' here.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:12 PM   #6

Finalize my review and done.

This cam is indeed Stereo, andsuper easy to modify, for a wider seperation. 7 point clips, and two screws are simply accessed on the screen. taken under two minutes , on/off.

If I were any more upset, orwas I. I hope you enjoyed my finl third post video

Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:44 PM   #7

Great minds think alike.
I just did the same thing you did ghehe.
I was thinking of using one of those flexible cables that you'll find on cheap laptop mics. Simply replace the actual mic inside the laptop mic with a GVS mic. Drill a small hole in the casing and feed the cable through (glue on inside of camera). Then re-rout the wires to the motherboard (not to the screen).

And there you go, you got yourself a real stereo GVS with flexible right side mic, that can be pointed in any direction to achieve a stereo sound effect.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:10 PM   #8

hmm are you on my wave length. that is the actual GVS picture there bud, I did not a thing to it.

there are two mics there, and there is about a 2 inch of wire , so onecan just seperate the mics tht Aiptek slotted.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:44 PM   #9

a clearer shot. I thought I scope out one mo time, andsaid it's in a good spot, happy with where it is at. the casing is pre drilled, and interior made for its location. why ruin a perfect center location.
Possable lil wing or deflection on front maybe a razor blade the sharpe edge, down the center to devide

Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:54 PM   #10

I thought we were .
I'm just saying I had the same idea, meaning I also opened the screen.
Anyway....so you're saying you want to rotate the mics slightly so they will pic up sounds from different directions, rather then placing them on both sides of the camera? Or are you saying you want to add a connection to hook up a stereo external mic?