Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Aiptek DV8900 SD cards protected problem

Aiptek DV8900 SD cards protected problem.

The camera, only had it 4 or 5 months has started to have a problem reading the cards in the protected write locked position when they aren't, tried several cards, don't even have to take the card out if its working and I shut it down without touching the card and switch it on it see it as having the protection lock on when before it was fine.

I suspect its a problem with the camera rather then the cards, is there a way to correct this? I assume there are little pins or guides inside that normally detect if the side switch protection button has moved to the lock position, and it malfunctioned.

Can anyone please help? I can't use my camera
Jax-jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:04 PM   #2

I found that formatting the sd card in the pc first, then in the camera itself resolves these issues. the locking tab only stops you from formatting, in mode, my works and in playback you can lock a file there..
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I found that formatting the sd card in the pc first, then in the camera itself resolves these issues. the locking tab only stops you from formatting, in mode, my works and in playback you can lock a file there..
Thank you for the quick response, I tried formatting two of the four cards I have on the pc first but the camera still reads the cards as protected, even a MMC card that doesn't even have the tab on the side. ( All worked fine yesterday)

I did a quick google SD card protection problems and it seems the reading devices have a circuit that is completed or not depending where the write protection tab is, if the pins in the camera/reader are not in the right place it leads to this problem of getting a false protection on.

I think maybe sounds like fixing it on warranty (are they 12 months?) or opening it up to over ride the locked card reading by short circuiting it!!!

Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:06 PM   #4

Did you foramt with teh cam only as well? you only said the pc?

The GVS it occured and I had to pull the card out reinsert, and turn cam off, then on I then said I'll format it in the cam it worked.

I also had this occure on older aipteks as well, andwhat I did aswell, i used a sanyo xacti hd 700 to format the card, then to the camera formatted.

A hidden file may be present.

I have a panasonic sd, sandisk, a-data, kingston and pny
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:36 PM   #5

Hi, I formatted successfully on the pc (FAT)so then tried to format in the camera and it wouldn't because it said 'card locked' It did let me format the MMC card once successfully, then told me the card was locked directly after, it seems a bit hit and miss at the moment which is why I thought it was maybe a loose/dodgy connection? Most of the time it wont let me format in the camera.

I'm using Kingston, Viking and a couple of new Sandisk extreme 3's.

With the card reading as locked it wont let me record anything to the card memory, so no working camera as the internal memory is very small.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:50 AM   #6

If your options are a return for a new one you may try that, I cannot figure why it will do a lock,.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:34 AM   #7

The Warranty is for 2 years but I can't find anything mentioning Warranty in the EU Aiptek website. I hear they are very slow to respond to emails, anyone know a better way to get help from them?
The camera was bought from Maplin, they don't sell it anymore.(I wanted it for the AV-in function with the bullet camera, hard to find at a decent price)

This is some info I found on the net which sounds similar to what is going on with the Aiptek, although most of these examples are card readers, but same principle I think.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...1414_28_0.html

Quote:
An SD interface includes a tiny copper finger which the write-enabling tab of an inserted SD card depresses onto another copper contact thus closing the circuit which enables the writing to take place. I suspect that that tab inside your SD reader is broken, bent, or somehow inoperable.

I wish the default fail would be to lose write protection rather than making the cards locked and then the device unusable!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 9:51 AM   #8

hmmm interesting,, contact aiptek mon-fri pcf 9-5 you'll talk to a live person. emailing is a total failure to communicate with them awaiting aresponse for many questions, andseems they are on a long vacation. bad business, period.

Again i had thoseissues, and fixed by just removing thecard and using the cam, most the time I use a polaroid sd, and sandisk. wit hte issue.

other memberswho expierenced or have theanswersmay come foward before Aiptek wil respond.
I am truely sorry that you're having troubles, andwish I could help more.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:11 AM   #9

i just hassled with my camera for like 30 min. it was saying card protected finally i took out my memory card and found a little switch on the side that had a picture of a lock and unlock! i was so relieved when i found that. i thought i ws being cursed cause when that happened i had 666 pictures!! but that was the problem i had to push the little switch to unlock
slcycaga2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:52 PM   #10

Is this like diskettes?!? I always thought the protection switch is electrically read by the sd card and output through its data pins. (Doesn't specification say that?)

Most card readers anyway have so shallow slots that the card end with the slider sticks out and thus can not be recognized mechanically anyway. I only know that the meaning of the slider can be software dependent (e.g. boot/non-boot) and does not electrically prevent writing to the flash rom (which can be done by other software means to prevent accidental erasure).
MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU! *============================================================================* I CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler I I (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!) I I ! I *=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================* {http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html}
CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler is offline   Reply With Quote