Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Default Good HD cam for me?

Well ive been looking into the sony webbie hd and the sanyo vpc cg10. Im pretty impressed with both of them, now the thing is that I dont know which one to purchase. Im looking more into video quality rather than still quality. My budget is 300 bucks at Bestbuy. So along with good video quality im also looking at something that does well in low light. So what do you guys think will be good for me? The Sanyo VCP CG 10 or the Sony Webbie HD.
Muggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2

Welcome Muggz!

Well imho neither of the Sony Webbies does well in low light. So if low light is important to you, you should choose another camera for sure.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:04 PM   #3

The HMC150 is most excellent for low light situations. Try to find pixel noise in the following video: http://vimeo.com/1838192

And before you says anything about the price: EXACTLY. One gets what we pay for with cheap cameras.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:28 PM   #4

Well ive done my research, Im going to make an LED mod. So scratch out the Low Light problem. Im looking for something sharper in Quality. As for the Panasonic HMC150, Thats way out of my league what im looking for. So basically Its still between the Sanyo cg10 and webbie. Ive seen that the Sanyo has alittle more saturated colors. So far im leaning more towards the Sanyo.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:38 PM   #5

Which of the Sony Webbies are you referring to? The CM1 or the PM1?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:02 PM   #6

the CM1.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:34 AM   #7

Sorry about the long responding time. You probably already bought a camera I guess you have read reviews of both of the cameras on the net. Well for me price, video quality and ergonomics are important when choosing a camera. I don't know the prices in the US, but if the Sony Webbie is way cheaper than Sanyo Xacti, then I would go with the Sony.
Video quality wise, from what I've seen on the net, they are more or less the same regarding sharpness. The Sony's colors are kinda of blue'ish(watch clips on vimeo of both cameras). 1080p vs 720p. If your aim is to output on youtube then imo resolution doesn't matter that much. Both cameras suffers from CMOS rolling shutter/wobble effect. I personally like the ergonomics of the Sanyo's gun shaped camera instead of Sony's traditional horizontal shaped camera. If you can, go try holding each camera in a shop and decide which type of camera you like holding.

I've tried a friends Sanyo CG10 for a day but I've never tried the Sony Webbies cameras as they are not available in Europe. So my views are definantly not fair against the Webbie. It's just the reviews I've read about it are bashing it's low light performance and highly compressed video. Though in outdoor daylight it produces great colors and ok sharpness. The CG10 does better but definantly not perfect in low light. Also one important point is the CG10 is quite portable. Pocketable. The Webbie on the other hand is a bit big to be "pocketable".
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
The HMC150 is most excellent for low light situations. Try to find pixel noise in the following video: http://vimeo.com/1838192

And before you says anything about the price: EXACTLY. One gets what we pay for with cheap cameras.
LOL and I was all set to buy 2 of these until I saw the price
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote