Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:15 PM   #11

I suspected that the camera used the same sensor as the RCA (which trickled out to) and Samsung, so gave up on it ages ago. If I'm wrong, that would be great. Lets hope they can get a 24mb/s 3D HD cameras by April or so so I don't have to buy the Kodak which still has not arrived.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 5:29 AM   #12

Target in Australia has some of their own "Base" branded pocket camcorders, as well as a few Aiptek models at my local store.
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
There's a thread about this camera from different manufacturers, Kogan is the one I like the most, since it has a real 10megapixel cmos sensor (no hardware interpolation)

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-f...corder-camera/
Fishycomics has a good eye, since the kogan, also has a 5Mp sensor. I wrote a letter to Kogan asking them about this topic, and here is the response I got:

Quote:
Hi,

Our Camcorder has an effective resolution of 5 MP with a maximum of 8MP with Interpolation.

Kindest Regards,
Sam

Kogan Technologies
So that means, any 'flavor' of this camera has the 5 megapixel cmos sensor then.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:15 PM   #14

and all cams are not yet to the next level. if andwhen they get off their 5 mb we'll one day see a 6 mb then stil lINTERPOLATED lol thanks
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
and all cams are not yet to the next level. if andwhen they get off their 5 mb we'll one day see a 6 mb then stil lINTERPOLATED lol thanks
This model claims to be "true" 10 megapixels without interpolation, with 1920x1080P video...

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...cal-10mp-cmos/

vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:31 PM   #16

i stand clear of a sales pitch a store, not the manufacturer.

I thought they said something like that for the Z700
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:24 PM   #17

Here's the thing..

1920x1080 resolution, is only 2.1 megapixels.

This means, that if you shoot 1080P video with a 3 megapixel, 5MP, 6MB or 8MP sensor, the image will look the same (assuming all the sensors are the same size and kind.. CMOS or CCD)

A 'true' 10 megapixel sensor would make no difference for video (after all, this is more of a video camcorder than photo camera).. UNLESS, there is a built-in OPTICAL STABILIZATION system.

An OIS works by allowing the viewable area to 'float' in a sea of pixels, and with plenty of extra sensor space around the viewable area, there would always be enough extra pixels to compensate for an unwanted movement in all directions by the OIS (if there was any).

If any of these small digicams (the ones that use a 5MP cmos sensor) had OIS, this is how much extra space there would be around the video (click to enlarge):

And this is the extra space if the sensor was 10 megapixels:

In both cases, the sensor is 4:3 and it seems rather obvious to me, that resolution is not as important as more useful features, such as optical stabilization, microphone jack, manual focus, better optics/lenses, etc.

Last edited by subc; Jan 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote