Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:51 PM   #11
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinobeetle View Post
ok, just for anyone who cares, a 37mm female to female macro reversing ring can be found here:

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/macrorings.aspx

I'll post with results once the parts arrive, but I'm hoping it will all fit like this:

aiptek gvs - digi t-ring - 30mm to 37mm step up ring - 37mm female/female reverse ring - any 37 mm lens

this is sort of a hassle just to acquire the ability to attach lenses to the gvs, why didn't they just attach a typical thread to the gvs? This is the only "feature" which, in my opinion, keeps the gvs from being a great camera for the price, not just a good camera for the price....
Aiptek, is a low budget cam, and the big wigs, placed a big damper on them. they attach a ring they be way ahead of others, making all other major companies beef up their act.
Av input same deal if they went Hd 1280x720, and 1440x1080 they probably have to close shop.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 3:03 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Default

I used a broken hood (The rubber was gone) for a Rollei 35(sonnar lens). Filed down the threads on one side and superglued it to the Aiptek. It's 30.5 mm wide and fitted fine(There is adapters to 37 mm also). Haven't tried any wide angle lenses yet though. Just some filters...

(Sorry for the bad picture.)

/C.
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
Here's a glass wide lens adapter i used when I had my GVS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yl02CklVcA

Read the description bar for details and a link to the wide angle lens adapter.
I liked the look of this so bought one over the weekend. I made a little test video and can't say that I am taken with the degradation in quality I experienced but it's still early days. Will try a different subject next.

http://vimeo.com/6066300

(doesn't look like Vimeo has encoded the HD version yet though)
ukpylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:24 PM   #14
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpylot View Post
I liked the look of this so bought one over the weekend. I made a little test video and can't say that I am taken with the degradation in quality I experienced but it's still early days. Will try a different subject next.

http://vimeo.com/6066300

(doesn't look like Vimeo has encoded the HD version yet though)
Looed like when I did mine on a rainy day HUMIDITY, foggy on the wide.
excellent review.

thesound not great , traffic I guess. and focus hunt LOL try the AF lock next time we forget we have it LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Juggernauter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 210
Default

I have a wide angle lense on the cam too. i have this one Hama Digital-Objektiv HR 0,5 x HTMC and in front of it i have Hama Gegenlichtblende Gummi Digital, 37 mm

Works with a bit modifikation great.

Now i whait for Polfilter and UV Filter.

There is no metric thread on it but with a careful pressing and some glue it works perfect.
__________________
Best regards
Juggernauter

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
subc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California, Sac area
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpylot View Post
I liked the look of this so bought one over the weekend. I made a little test video and can't say that I am taken with the degradation in quality I experienced but it's still early days. Will try a different subject next.

http://vimeo.com/6066300

(doesn't look like Vimeo has encoded the HD version yet though)
Hello, don't worry about the quality you got. I just watched the video you posted and I can tell you this:

Before you start to record with the raynox lens, you need to zoom all the way back (widest setting) and change the mode to MACRO.
ALSO, make sure you are in MANUAL FOCUS mode, and lock the focus once you set the lens in place and everything is crisp.

Remember, this is a wide angle lens, and works best when the zoom is not used (and is all the way back) and the focus is manual and locked in place.

So basically, the 'loss of quality' you are experiencing, in reality is nothing more than soft focus.

Good luck and post again if you have more problems (or a video with the settings I mentioned)
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:09 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
Hello, don't worry about the quality you got. I just watched the video you posted and I can tell you this:

Before you start to record with the raynox lens, you need to zoom all the way back (widest setting) and change the mode to MACRO.
ALSO, make sure you are in MANUAL FOCUS mode, and lock the focus once you set the lens in place and everything is crisp.

Remember, this is a wide angle lens, and works best when the zoom is not used (and is all the way back) and the focus is manual and locked in place.

So basically, the 'loss of quality' you are experiencing, in reality is nothing more than soft focus.

Good luck and post again if you have more problems (or a video with the settings I mentioned)
This lens might be a good one for my in-car dashboard shot. I need to film both the driver and the passenger, would it hold focus well enough to do this? Fishy comics did a great test of a Kodak Zi8 in a similar position here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJowtQZf8Ns

from this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...series-10.html

but I'm starting to think the Aiptek might be a better option for various reasons and if that wide angle just simply clicks on then that is really great... What do you think?

Also, would it work plugged in to a leisure circuit in a car... i.e. does it go to Recharge mode when plugged in or can it work normally?

Thanks
Gavin
lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:37 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Default GVS wide angle

I'll be testing this lens at infinity on the dash of a Cessna 172.
It looks good so far but I wonder about an infinity focus.
spunky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:34 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Did the t-ring adapter work?
spunky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
ok, just for anyone who cares, a 37mm female to female macro reversing ring can be found here:

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/macrorings.aspx

I'll post with results once the parts arrive, but I'm hoping it will all fit like this:

aiptek gvs - digi t-ring - 30mm to 37mm step up ring - 37mm female/female reverse ring - any 37 mm lens

this is sort of a hassle just to acquire the ability to attach lenses to the gvs, why didn't they just attach a typical thread to the gvs? This is the only "feature" which, in my opinion, keeps the gvs from being a great camera for the price, not just a good camera for the price....
Did it work?
spunky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.