Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:57 PM   #1

Default Aiptek GVS and wide angle lens

It is so wanker but in the past I was using hot glue to attach a $99 digital concepts wide angle lens to an Action HD+ an dit looked pretty good with very little smear on the edges. now I get the GVS because of the external mic and stabilizer and I use the exact same lens and it looks horrible with @10-12% of each side being out of focus. I also found the Sunpak lenses that I was hoping were the same lens with different packaging but they are much worse.

Is there a better wide angle lens for the GVS?

Is there any of these cheap HD cameras that actually has threads to add a wide angle lens and look clean?

Is there a $200-300 camera that has a wider shot with similar quality?

Any advice appreciated...we love the Aipteks but need a wide shot for in racing car shots.

btw...I was thinking of down reving the firmware to try to get the internal wide angle trick to work but the videos were removed from youtube?
tentenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:04 PM   #2

Default Aiptek GVS Thread Hacks

I am in the same boat. I upgraded to the most current firmware and realized that the wide angle hack is only in firmware 2302, which I rolled back to..no biggie.

I would like to have ultra wide angle/wide angle with newer firmware, so figuring out a way to attach a lens to the GVS is necessary for my situation. I need to film a demo with my gvs, but all outdoor architecture shots which the gvs would be great for, however I want to be able to attach a grad ND filter and lense hood for skyward shots of higher floors of tall buildings in bright sky.

I plan on purchasing a 30mm to 37mm adapter ring which I can hopefully thread onto the plastic barrel after removing the USELESS aluminum 30mm/27mm ring that the gvs comes with. I want to step up to 37mm for greater selection of lenses, as 37mm mount threads seem more common 27mm. If I could even find a 30mm to 27mm step down ring, I would be worried about vignetting with a 27mm wide angle lens attached to the gvs barrel as the non-ideal, forced threads may not be totally flush, increasing the focal length, thus the other motivation for attempting to mount a 30mm to 37mm threaded step ring.

Anyone have a better idea? I tried to find a 30mm bayonet to screw adapter which could just attach to the barrel but I don't think it exists...I'd rather not use a solution which relies on tape or glue...
rhinobeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:27 AM   #3

Here's a glass wide lens adapter i used when I had my GVS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yl02CklVcA

Read the description bar for details and a link to the wide angle lens adapter.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 8:43 AM   #4

thanks subc!

One question, does that snap on lens have threads for a filter?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:08 PM   #5

no threads. it's a snap-on type of lens, adjustable to different sizes (the GVS being one of them). the advantage is that placing or removing the lens takes literally one second.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:19 PM   #6

Understood, no threads on the camera side of the lens, however what about the front of the lens, is it threaded such that one could attach a filter?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:48 PM   #7

As in the city, a course is being given, and paying 175.00 for dig cams with interchangable lenses.

Strike One Aiptek. you cost me that survey
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinobeetle View Post
Understood, no threads on the camera side of the lens, however what about the front of the lens, is it threaded such that one could attach a filter?
Ah, i see now. To be honest, I can't recall seeing threads on the outside of the wide angle lens, but I can't deny their existence either.
However, based on the fact that I did look carefully over every aspect of the lens when I first got it, I will say 'no threads on the lens either'
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:21 PM   #9

after days of internet surfing, I think I may have found an adapter that will allow one to attache a conversion lens to the gvs, here: http://www.scopetronics.com/digitalcam.htm

This Digi-T adaptor is made to couple threadless telescope and microscope eyepieces with a camera lens. As seen here:

I am just going to buy the digi-t ring but the situation pictured above will have to be changed in the last stage with a 30mm to 30mm female-female ring. In the picture above the step ring connects to the camera body, whereas we I need it to connect to a lens. Trying to find it, it should exist...

Any ideas?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:21 AM   #10

ok, just for anyone who cares, a 37mm female to female macro reversing ring can be found here:

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/macrorings.aspx

I'll post with results once the parts arrive, but I'm hoping it will all fit like this:

aiptek gvs - digi t-ring - 30mm to 37mm step up ring - 37mm female/female reverse ring - any 37 mm lens

this is sort of a hassle just to acquire the ability to attach lenses to the gvs, why didn't they just attach a typical thread to the gvs? This is the only "feature" which, in my opinion, keeps the gvs from being a great camera for the price, not just a good camera for the price....