Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:02 PM   #1

Default LCD Replacement

I have the Ispan DDV 750 that I accidentally broke the flip out LCD on and was wanting to find out if there are replacements available, where I would find same and is this something I could easily do myself or should it be taken to a shop for reapair?
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:41 PM   #2

Considering the price of that camera and the current models from Ispan, I believe you are much better off getting a new one instead. the price of the LCD + repairs could very well surpass that of a brand new model from the same manufacturer... if you can even find someone to repair it.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:42 PM   #3

These hybrids are toss aways if they break.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:48 PM   #4

Unless a device costs several hundred dollars it's generally unrealistic costwise to get them repaired. Although to us they may not seem like a throw away item, to the manufacturer they are. Unfortunately, this is just the 'price' we have to pay for being able to buy the item inexpensively in the first place.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:37 PM   #5

Actually, in terms of waste and personal satisfaction, I'd try to fix these cameras if I ever broke one. I'd be quite happy to spend as much as one cost, to fix it. I've also bid on broken ones on eBay, but they've always sold for more than they were worth to me (minus the risk of not being able to fix them).

Aside from the dollar value, electronics like these take large amounts of resources to manufacture, and fixing them reduces environmental impacts.

So, the problem becomes finding sources of screens. Surely there are electronics businesses in the Orient that would sell them, and they're sure to be dirt cheap. I suspect that it's easy to open up the screen part of the cameras, and the screens themselves probably are held in with a few screws and a connector. Should be easy to do.

(I bought some super-bright white led's to upgrade a 10-year old flashlight. The led's came from somewhere in the Orient, to my door by mail, for $1.70. The same company sells led headlamps for about 1/5 of what you'd pay in outdoor stores.)

I sold a DDV-5120A to a friend who months later reported she had dropped it and it no longer worked. I was quite looking forward to seeing if I could repair it. But alas, popping in a known-good battery "fixed" it. So I didn't get to tear it apart.

Last edited by sgspirit; Jul 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:28 AM   #6

My response was brief, and like i said a toss a away, to the company side.

Ebay yes wait for a steal. it will happen, learn to repair andyou'll come out a winner.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote