Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Camcorder add-on lights

I've been looking for a camcorder light for my Aiptek A-HD.
I've found one that looks like it might work but I wanted to check if anyone here is or has used one and what you thought of it.
Amazon sells these at about $34

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SL-20LX-U.../dp/B000WKW69Q

Thanks, Mark
markh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:38 AM   #2

I have one of these UFO 48 LED Camping Light, with which you can place your lens so it shoots through the center and get a shadow-free illumination. They are sold on Ebay for about $10, and elsewhere... 3 AA cells last for hours, and the color tint is pretty good.
http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/2e/e8/7510_12.JPG
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh5 View Post
I've been looking for a camcorder light for my Aiptek A-HD.
I've found one that looks like it might work but I wanted to check if anyone here is or has used one and what you thought of it.
Amazon sells these at about $34

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SL-20LX-U.../dp/B000WKW69Q

Thanks, Mark
I have one of these. It seems to work well from the limited use I have made of it. The only real problem is that it is too bright so you can't use it in situations where people are going to be looking towards it. There is no adjustment of light output, its all or nothing.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:01 PM   #4

I just bought one of the smaller 9-LED SL-10L for exactly that reason, rgvcam (not dazzling). I will post my impressions when it comes. Oh - the other reasons I decided to try the SL-10L were that it took standard AAA rechargables and it only weighs 2 ozs with batteries, and so I can throw it into my travel kit... I hope to make a braket so it fits on my cameras which don't have a hot shoe.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
I just bought one of the smaller 9-LED SL-10L for exactly that reason, rgvcam (not dazzling). I will post my impressions when it comes. Oh - the other reasons I decided to try the SL-10L were that it took standard AAA rechargables and it only weighs 2 ozs with batteries, and so I can throw it into my travel kit... I hope to make a braket so it fits on my cameras which don't have a hot shoe.
My brother-in-law has one of these from bestbuy. It seems to work as long as you only expect it to light the nearby subject you are focusing on. The larger SL-20 that I purchased also comes with a bracket which is useful as most camcorders now don't seem to have a shoe.

Even when they do, it's often in a poor location. This light only just fits on his Panasonic DVD camcorder. The shoe is right next to the DVD housing which catches the light casing giving it very slight tilt.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:47 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I've heard that they were pretty bright for anything closer than 15'.
What I plan on using it for is videotaping a trip in a mine where the lighting is pretty dim.

Mark
markh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:22 AM   #7

http://www.vimeo.com/1140331
no lights ofcam but a mine i did crystal caverns
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:56 AM   #8

Just to prove that one man's food is another man's poison, my little Sima SL-10LX just arrived, and I am going to buy another. The light output at 10-15 ft is just right for my HF100 at 24p, and the throw is nearly full width. I decided to buy another and put them on a makeshift bar to make sure the fill covers the whole screen, and reduce shadows. There is a thread inside the SIMA hotshoe connector so that the unit can be affixed by a screw from beneath (if mounted on a bar).

The case is hard to get apart to pop in new batteries (I only use Eneloop) but I figure that I will rarely do this, as the weight without batteries is only 1.2 ozs, something I can throw into my travel kit without a second thought.

Thanks for the tips, I am a very happy camper indeed

ps: the HF100 has a small adapter shoe, but if you file the shoe sides down on a standard accessory then it will fit both the small HF100 shoe and conventional shoes

pps: Now I just have to figure out how to make a 1oz bar...
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:55 PM   #9

home depot, go to the aisle where the scres and bolts are at and look for aluminum mars run around a few dolalrs. you'll see it with te threaded rods
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote