Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:10 AM   #51

Just did some quick testing and it seems the Zi8s can run without a battery when one simply plugs into a power outlet; this is something my Sanyo VPC-CG6 camcorders could not do. One could not plug the Sanyos into a power outlet and run them. One could only charge their batteries.

So... I'll be returning one of the Tekkeon batteries (defective).

I may not need the Tekkeons after all.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:47 AM   #52

The Tests, you did , are great, knowing that the Kodak ZI8 has the ability to run w/o a battery, and knowing that a battery will be .needed for internal charging.

When the Usb, and or ac adaptor, is plugged in the battery will reach full charge, and turn off the charging, still running the cam.

The cam idfully functional, able to record when just plugged in, corect.

We have come a long way, from a external battery charge, to internal charging.

What would this do?

Stop over charging, premature charging..

battery life would be a good few thousand times.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:29 PM   #53

Well, I just gave it a good test.

There's some slight hiss... even when I use a quality external microphone such as the Audio-Technica AT835b... but for $200... the outcome is quite good for a camcorder that I intend to use for classroom-type work.

One has to adjust the level of the external microphone using the menu of the Kodak Zi8 and I found the best setting was the MAXIMUM setting. That gave me very nice waveforms in Magix Movie Edit Pro.

No doubt the new Samson records a little better audio, but the Samson does not offer HD resolutions like the Kodak Zi8.

The latest firmware update for the Zi8 is 1.03. Easy to install.

- Private Idaho
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:34 PM   #54

I just listened again. I may have been incorrect. That may not have been "slight hiss" that I was hearing. I now suspect my recording was actually exhibiting the sound of the air vent on the ceiling blowing down into the small room where I did my recording!

I recorded in a large classroom and there was no detectable hiss.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:06 PM   #55

Will do some more testing in the days ahead.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:30 PM   #56

Have they fixed the maximum record time yet?
While in Singapore I ended up doing a 1hr 15minute recording on a 16 Gig card with my Panasonic ZS3 (using its new AVCHD mode). Longer recordings are useful from time to time
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Have they fixed the maximum record time yet?
While in Singapore I ended up doing a 1hr 15minute recording on a 16 Gig card with my Panasonic ZS3 (using its new AVCHD mode). Longer recordings are useful from time to time
TREVMAR! Please, check your private messages! :P
I'll go ahead and post the questions here, too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
I use the Sony microphone that Tina is using, and it is totally unsuitable for this application. Actually, I own several of them, and every one has now been changed to use the high-sensitivity Primo EM158 omnidirectional capsules.

As shipped from Sony it has two unidirectional (cardioid) microphone inserts inside those wire mesh screens, and each is pointing directly outwards (at 180 degrees). Which gives a sound field that sounds terrible.

As an omni, however, that little mic container works really well... with a sensitivity >20 better than the original Sony which Tina is using.

ps: you can buy Chinese rip-off versions on Ebay which already have omnidirectional capsules, although those capsules are pretty weak by comparison with the EM158. Search for "ECM-DS70P ELECTRET STEREO" and you will find the rip-offs selling at a very low price indeed...
A couple questions.. Are you saying it's a good idea to buy the knockoffs off ebay and replace the capsules with EM158s? Would it be possible/desirable to open the unit up and just replace the internal mic with an EM158?

And..
According to their site,
http://www.primomic.de/index.php?cat=13&en=1
the EM158 is actually "Non-directional." What does this mean? How is it different from omni?

Thanks again

Last edited by Gotaro; Oct 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM.
Gotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:27 PM   #58

I figured they are just stamped items. sony 's bolgnia
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:22 AM   #59

There is a slight amount of hiss.

I think this must be due to either...

1. self-noise of the microphone

...or more likely...

2. the H.264 compression's rendering of ambient sound
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:22 AM   #60

But it's not bad, I should add. It's perfectly acceptable for the type of classroom recordings that I need.