Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:57 PM   #61

I am that proud owner so far of the Kodak ZI8 I have to say. the sound quality seems decent I have a bassy voice LOL, not a tin cup voice like before LOL

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HH6L4JKB a direct download using al factory settings and fw 1.03 on the latest model, that are out now no markimngs on box to state firmware

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:13 PM   #62

Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:50 PM   #63

Fishy,
That is not a Sony microphone, that is a Chinese copy of a Sony housing, with two omnidirectional microphone inserts in place of the rigidly mounted two-cardioid inserts of the Sony. I know, I use both the originals and the ripoffs.

Personally, I think the original Sony versions sound terrible, with 180 degrees spacing on cardioid elements, and I replace the cheap Chinese omni inserts in the copies (such as yours) with high quality, low noise, low handling noise, EM158 inserts:

http://www.primocorp.co.jp/product/PDF/EM158.pdf

Then they work really well. Oh, and if you want a good windshield:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250503977283

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:31 PM   #64

taken off of amazon.com the pic . 18.oo plus. I understand the 5.00 one from hongkong is a b boligna
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:47 PM   #65

The pic is of a $5 ripoff

The 5$ ones work well enough for most ears - better than the original Sony but with no stereo separation, just a stereo field.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:06 AM   #66

Thank you. I wonder if by the looks of the tear down. repurchasing a better interior of condensed mics, the circuitry can be eliminated, and just using the housing. that we may get our own working sterio mics.

I am and would love to find another less pricy sterio mic , and wireless one so I can do my Observations
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:08 PM   #67

Some of the $5 'Ebay DS70P' microphones sound quite good, and most sound reasonably good. IMO all of them sound as good as the original Sony, which is quite 'tinny'. They are not directional, but nothing short of a Rode SVM is going to cut out operator stomach growls and breathing and such...

There is no circuitry on that circuit board, just straight wired connections between the little black cable coming out of the plug and the two wires coming off each mic (common ground).

I also stuff half of an earplug (one of those squashy types) into the screen before I replace the inserts. Extra damping doesn't hurt
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:16 PM   #68

thank you, today I used my el cheapo, too windy. si I just felt like shooting rather yapping. wil lsee how the footage plays out cannot watch, and edit to stuttery lol
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Fishy,
That is not a Sony microphone, that is a Chinese copy of a Sony housing, with two omnidirectional microphone inserts in place of the rigidly mounted two-cardioid inserts of the Sony. I know, I use both the originals and the ripoffs.

Personally, I think the original Sony versions sound terrible, with 180 degrees spacing on cardioid elements, and I replace the cheap Chinese omni inserts in the copies (such as yours) with high quality, low noise, low handling noise, EM158 inserts:

http://www.primocorp.co.jp/product/PDF/EM158.pdf

Then they work really well. Oh, and if you want a good windshield:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250503977283

Quote:
The pic is of a $5 ripoff

The 5$ ones work well enough for most ears - better than the original Sony but with no stereo separation, just a stereo field.
Quote:
Some of the $5 'Ebay DS70P' microphones sound quite good, and most sound reasonably good. IMO all of them sound as good as the original Sony, which is quite 'tinny'. They are not directional, but nothing short of a Rode SVM is going to cut out operator stomach growls and breathing and such...

There is no circuitry on that circuit board, just straight wired connections between the little black cable coming out of the plug and the two wires coming off each mic (common ground).

I also stuff half of an earplug (one of those squashy types) into the screen before I replace the inserts. Extra damping doesn't hurt
Damn, dude. I've left you probably 5 or 6 messages over the past month or two, on top of replying to your post in here, only to be ignored every time and actually watch you continue the discussion with someone else? Screw this.. What a jerk..
Gotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:45 PM   #70

Gotaro,
The EM158 can be purchased from Gene for around $9. Not cheap, but....

http://www.frogloggers.com/FORMgallery4.htm

..trevor..