Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:52 PM   #1

Default KODAK Introduces Zi8 With External Mic Input!

Wow:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Quote:
Make audio awesome葉he external microphone jack lets you record in stereo
1080p at 30 frames per second plus alternate 720p and EDTV (848 x 480) modes.

$180.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:12 PM   #2

Stereo External Microphone. Are you listening Aiptek?

Very interesting indeed.

They even have image stabilization. Better than none I suppose. Also they have switched over to a Lithium Iion battery instead of AA batteries now.

A video explaining the featureset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fXbvTeDXY

Sample indoor video: http://www.vimeo.com/5826348

The audio is out of synce but he explains that it seems to be a problem with youtube and vimeo encoding.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3

You know with each new generation of these hybrid camcorders we see new features added that bring us closer to what we want in a low cost camcorder. This new model from Kodak adds to the list of features we want with the addition of a stereo audio input, very useful, but it痴 own built-in mic is mono. It does have image stabilization, but it is electronic which is inferior to optical image stabilization like I知 getting with the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS which works quite well. I like that the Kodak has an optional $9.99 remote control, this could be handy for using it with a motorized auto panhead that I have. I wish it had an optical zoom, but I see that it is a digital 4X zoom, not very useful. Other things that I like are the video resolutions that this cam has including 1080p. It has a DC power input that I hope will allow it to record while it is connected with a optional 3 volt DC adaptor. It also has an included HDMI cable and output port that I hope will allow monitoring the cam痴 output while it is recording on a HD TV. These hybrid cam痴 are nickel and diming me to death! Each adds some feature that I need, but none of them incorporates all the features that I want. So I知 sitting here with six HD hybrid cams, and another three standard definition cams, that each has something to add to the mix, but not one that has all the bells and whistles that I desire. So for now I知 like a golfer that has to use different golf clubs for different shots. Yes, I値l probably purchase the Zi8 when it becomes available, so is the life of a hybrid cam junky.

Last edited by bobcat56458; Jul 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:07 PM   #4

a ff lens 61, 46,42 mm lenses.

1920x1080, not [email protected], [email protected], and 848, no 4:3 ration all widescreen.

a mon mic, and I bet it is not sterio, but mono left/right.
On specs no mention of ext mic only on the main page.

I am not a lover of these flat device cams. but I must like others wait and see.

Aiptek am sure to now think of a newdevice that will truely do 1920x1080 res, and be a true 16:9 ratio, with a true sterio ext mic port.

Cannot agree more

love to see wide angle adaptor, and every feature onecan use. but guessing that ifyou want them all , we have to puchase, andkeep Ebay in business.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:57 AM   #5

Bobcat, I hear yah! I have thought the very same thing. Sometimes I find a near perfect camcorder or hybrid and think if only they put feature x from those camcorders on this one I'd be set and yet it seems they never do or they do actually add that feature and remove feature y etc.

I have to say though, this practice is not unique to just hybrids or camcorders etc. but electronics in general. Another good example is cellphones. I'll find one that has everything I need want such as keyboard etc only to find they put in a crappy camera module in this particular model. You can't win lol
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:04 PM   #6

The presence of the stereo external microphone jack is clearly mentioned on the specifications page:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Quote:
I/O interface
USB 2.0 (high speed), AV out, HDMI, DC in, external microphone jack (support stereo)
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:12 PM   #7

I do not know, AIptek, and others did the same to us. FOOLED US. when will this hit the streets?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:20 PM   #8

September is what they claim. We'll see.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:07 PM   #9

To be fair fishycomics, Aiptek did not actually *say* it was a stereo external mic. They just didn't tell you either way. At least Kodak state clearly that the internal is mono and the external stereo.

Personally I think that Aiptek were deceptive in their Specifications. By not actually saying it was monoaural most people would logically assume, that as they have an internal stereo mic, the stereo must also be Stereo.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:31 PM   #10

Lol did i say I said aiptek and others do the same to us FOOL. I should have rephrased it

Aiptek states the GVS was a coninous shot for example can take snaps only in burst one of 10 pps. no where did it state it can take a singleshot only ofone frame.

As well only when and the firmware was updated, only at Aiptek.tw.com Z700 it stated their cam ca do a dual record snap video, and a still during video. the GVS did not.

We must find out that the GVS is not the Z700, but it is, I have yet to see ONE member snap a pic of the Z700 load it up (lunapic.com) and post hte model number
as well as a persona l photo ((GRIN))

no pun intended.