Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:07 AM   #1

Default Aiptek High-Speed 720p help

I can't seem to find much on this cam in general, and certainly haven't found any firmware for it yet. The problem (as I'm sure you can guess) I want to correct is the horrendous mic gain. Both the internal and external leads suffer from what seems to be the usual over gain, popping and clipping. It's so bad you can't even carry the cam around and use the internal mic because it picks up all the case creaks.

Aiptek replied that it did not support any firmware updates. I hope this is not the case because I'm otherwise very happy with it, after disassembling and readjusting the lens for a sharper infinity focus.

Thanks!
kaelaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:27 PM   #2

may a piece of foam plastic can help, i will give him a try cause there is nothing against the wind noise too.

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 1:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelaria View Post
I can't seem to find much on this cam in general, and certainly haven't found any firmware for it yet. The problem (as I'm sure you can guess) I want to correct is the horrendous mic gain. Both the internal and external leads suffer from what seems to be the usual over gain, popping and clipping. It's so bad you can't even carry the cam around and use the internal mic because it picks up all the case creaks.

Aiptek replied that it did not support any firmware updates. I hope this is not the case because I'm otherwise very happy with it, after disassembling and readjusting the lens for a sharper infinity focus.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard KAY....

My advice to you:
post a video sample up. and Email thenm the sample, use a upload site, and your email, contact as well by phone. explain the problem to them. and you shall recieve a firmwar XXXX

good luck and let us know, they do monitor the site and i am sure they'll resond back to you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:16 PM   #4

I already did and they replied a couple days ago, that there was no firmware available for that model at all. They suggested returning it for a refund.

The best work around I have found is using a lavalier mic with an inline volume control meant for headphones. It introduces enough impedance to the line so it's only using about 5% of line level. Obviously I have to normalize the track and it has a high noise floor, but it doesn't clip. Not the best solution but anything is better than clipping.

Otherwise what I do is make SURE to speak in a very non-dynamic voice, and when I do get the occasional clip I edit them out spike by spike.

BTW what I use it for is to produce videos for one of my sites cigarobession.com

The early videos show the progression of my mods to the unit. Finding the best mic and how to use it was a big step, and the later videos are a large improvement in that area. Very recently, the video has improved due to another modification. It turns out there was 1/2 a finger print on the underside of the lens right above the sensor. I disassembled the unit to clean it off. I also broke the glue seal on the lens it self to better manually focus it for infinity focus. It was not properly aligned from the factory and in the videos over the last few weeks it's evident from the blur on the left side along the fence and the lack of truly sharp detail. I have a new video waiting to air next week with the improved audio using the volume control mod.

i have emailed them several times for answers to questions concerning these issues and every time they suggest returning the unit. I don't know why I bother with them.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:41 PM   #5

I hear ya. wonder why they ignore a request they offer to some and not to others
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:42 PM   #6

I hear ya. wonder why they ignore a request they offer to some and not to others
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:45 PM   #7

So you do know of firmware being available for this model? They said it can't even be flashed.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:19 PM   #8

if that is the case this is a perfect model, only Aiptek can answer for that. no i am kept now in the dark. I suggest a email to Aiptek.tw.com i am sure it gets back to the USA deptartment wih flack.