Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Aiptek Mic input

Well even though the sound recorded from the mic input is duplicated on both channels the same (confirmed by Aiptek), it seems the mic input will only work with a true stereo mic since I tried an old mono mic I purchased from radio shack a few years back for a tape recorder, both with and without, a mono to stereo adaptor and no sound is recorded at all. I know the mic works as I tested it with my PC. Yet if I use a pair of headphones it records sound fine.

So anyone recommend a cheap stereo mic that is known to work with the Aiptek GVS? Preferably one with a lower gain than the built in one.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:58 PM   #2

Are you sure. I proven that you place the rca plugs seperated. and pulled the left or right and SOUND lol

you're saying a left/right/ground plug will proform in sterio?

or

When the company has all the info provided they still do not have a answer for the length of cable a mic can be extended?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:27 PM   #3

I think you are talking about the internal microphone which does indeed appear to be true stereo although very poor separation at that.

I was on about the actual mic input itself. I had done some tests that proved that the sound from either channel is duplicated on the other so for all intents and purposes you get a mono recording. I confirmed this behavior with Aiptek.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
I think you are talking about the internal microphone which does indeed appear to be true stereo although very poor separation at that.

I was on about the actual mic input itself. I had done some tests that proved that the sound from either channel is duplicated on the other so for all intents and purposes you get a mono recording. I confirmed this behavior with Aiptek.
correct we are mono Ext mic proven with a plug
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5

I guess you'd want one with a lower sensitivity, right?
Maybe a dynamic mic for taping loud rock shows?

The setup I use now would probably work. I use 2 dynamic mics, both Nady, one with a -73 dbm sensitivity, the other with a -76 dbm sensitivity.
I take those mics, attach them to a cord with 2 female xlrs on one end and a 1/8 stereo on the other. Then through a headphone volume control (from Radio Shack).

You really will probably have good luck if you take whatever you have now and run it through the headphone volume control from Radio Shack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Well even though the sound recorded from the mic input is duplicated on both channels the same (confirmed by Aiptek), it seems the mic input will only work with a true stereo mic since I tried an old mono mic I purchased from radio shack a few years back for a tape recorder, both with and without, a mono to stereo adaptor and no sound is recorded at all. I know the mic works as I tested it with my PC. Yet if I use a pair of headphones it records sound fine.

So anyone recommend a cheap stereo mic that is known to work with the Aiptek GVS? Preferably one with a lower gain than the built in one.
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote