Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:49 PM   #21

Wayne12, As far as I can tell, Trevmar already answered your question above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
So, the camera is recording truly separate changing progressive frames 60 times a second not 30fps? Cineform is not automatically inserting frames to increase it from 30fps to 60fps?

Here is the hardest one, as some cameras do this trick. They get a 30p fame and they interpolate a 60p intermediate frame in camera. Is this camera doing it, or is it recording true 60 frames a second at the sensor (noting that Panasonic is claiming 30p at sensor)?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Here is the hardest one, as some cameras do this trick. They get a 30p fame and they interpolate a 60p intermediate frame in camera. Is this camera doing it, or is it recording true 60 frames a second at the sensor (noting that Panasonic is claiming 30p at sensor)?
Indeed, details of that technology are at
http://www.100fps.com/

But the ZS3 is not doing that, as it is not taking an interlaced image. The primary problem seems to be that none of the AVCHD decodong software is recognizing the AVCHD-lite format yet, and so is applying a default deinterlacing to adjacent frames.

I have seen Haali splitter output showing the replicated frames using the DSS() function in AVIsynth, yet this apparently is done with flags in the AVCHD stream. I have processed true progressive (not blurred) frames as well. So the purist in me is happy. However, the technical stuff is pretty messy. If you want to read up on that, the details are in this discussion:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic372515.html

Sorry I took so long to answer, I haven't been cruising the boards these last few days
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:32 AM   #23

Rvgcam, a little confusing reading, as the shades of gray escape people, I am used to answers that people seem to think are right and are not, so best to confirm.

Trevmar. thanks. It doesn't have to be interlace to interpolate frames, it is also applyable to 30 frames a second progressive. The technology is pretty advanced now, so the results need not be obvious.

Last edited by Wayne12; Sep 3, 2009 at 7:44 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:44 AM   #24

I found an interesting article on de-interlacing years ago. It was on a talk by the leading de-interlace technology expert who was retiring. He stated that de-interlacing didn't work. Although you can good results as shown, scenes can get very complex to de-interlace (different objects at different distance have different interlace and at different speeds I imagine, and eventually they just get to be a mess). But we probably have much better processing techniques and have much power today.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:58 PM   #25

Interlacing only comes into the picture as some editing software expects all AVCHD to be interlaced, and always applies de-interlacing. Sony Vegas 9 is in this category (see the discussion I linked above) That blurs the progressive image.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote