Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:30 PM   #1

Default Upgrade Suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my Sanyo Xacti HD700 (expecting a kid in the next two months) but am feeling a little overwhelmed . There have been so many new hybrid models coming out from Sanyo and Aiptek that I have had difficulty keeping up on the specs and reviews.

I'm hoping to spend at most, around $300 and would like 1080p functionality. I was thinking about the HD1010 or one of the Aiptek 1080p models. The Zi8 looked interesting but it apparently doesn't have a flash . Are there any clear winners in this price range? Thanks!
evil_attorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:57 PM   #2

If you can stretch $50 more, the HD1010 would be in your price range now on amazon.com. I just bought one myself and it would make the perfect upgrade to your HD700! I have a Sanyo C40 and tried out the HD700 as an upgrade but was disappointed in the device, but I think the HD1010 has rectified that for me so far.

I also have the Aiptek GVS which is also not a bad camera considering it's half the price of the HD1010! There really isn't a lot of difference between the 1080p modes of the Aiptek and HD1010 but the Sanyo definitely has more pleasing colors. The Aiptek can be a little dull at times, although it isn't bad.

Of course the size may be the problem if you want something similar to the HD700 which is why I assume you are looking at the Kodak.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:59 PM   #3

Congradulations well in advance .

You have a powerful cam in hand, I see that the Hd700 is a far better cam then the GVS , and I see and RGVCAM wil jump in with the hd1010 by sanyo.

the kodak is so new, i have no comment on it.

There are no NEW models out for the Aiptek, the latest one nov 2008 aiptek action hd GVS.

other members wil ljump in, just check some vids , do not rush in, the kodak as i type tags in not a single clip to be found, unless they name otherwise what they shoot.
added note he beat me to the punch, I can fix that lol
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. What I think I hear you saying is that either the GVS or 1010 would be a good upgrade.

rgvcam, are you saying that as far as picture quality goes, the GVS and the 1010 are about the same? Doesn't the 1010 use a higher bitrate than the AVS? I searched everywhere and can't really find any good comparisons on the performance of the two. How about photo quality? I would end up using this for taking pictures too.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_attorney View Post
Thanks for the advice. What I think I hear you saying is that either the GVS or 1010 would be a good upgrade.

rgvcam, are you saying that as far as picture quality goes, the GVS and the 1010 are about the same? Doesn't the 1010 use a higher bitrate than the AVS? I searched everywhere and can't really find any good comparisons on the performance of the two. How about photo quality? I would end up using this for taking pictures too.
Yes the HD1010 has a 12Mbps bitrate as compared to the Aiptek GVS 10Mbps in the 1080p mode. You also have to bear in mind though, that the Sanyo has Full HD of 1920x1080P so the image is 30% larger meaning the bitrate advantage disappears. As I said though, the Sanyo has the 'more pleasing to the eye' image quality of the two.

The Sanyo is definitely better for taking still images but this is mainly because it has a faster shutter. The Aiptek GVS has a tendency to blur the images.

If you want to compare the still images between the two cameras, I set up two galleries here:

Aiptek GVS and Sanyo HD1010

Now this isn't a scientific comparison of like images. They were just some random images I placed in a Gallery for demo purposes.

Last edited by rgvcam; Aug 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:21 PM   #6

th GVS is a simple Point-N-shoot cam, stills will be okay. at low levels the cam will not profrm at itspeak, you'll ahve ruined shots. just my two cents
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7

It sounds like I would be happier with the hd1010. My only hesitation is that the pics are only 4 MP. Maybe that's not a big deal, especially if it has good zoom and color quality (which it seems to have from your pics rgv, thanks).

How does the battery life compare on each?

The HD700 starts off with decent battery life with new batteries but they seem to loose their charge (i.e., don't hold much of a charge) after only a month or two of light use. Both the Sanyo and third party batteries seem to have this problem. Any problems with this on the 1010?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:57 PM   #8

my cam is wow a good year I say and battery is fine.

4 meg is all you'll ever need areyou using your pics for Posters I think not
tehy say 4 meg 3x optical zom isall one needs, andtoday we have 11 meg or higher LOL
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:58 PM   #9

I haven't had the HD1010 long enough to know but 4MP is plenty. It's enough for a good 8x10 and high MP counts on the small sensors most of these devices have is not good. Too much noise which the devices then counteract with noise reduction which reduces detail. The Canon HF100 only has a 3MP image as well.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:47 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I really appreciate it. I think I will give it another week or two to see if the price on the hd1010 will come down any more (due to the hd2000 release). I still have some time before we have our kid and the flurry of pictures begin. :-)