Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:38 PM   #1

Default GVS now or wait?

Any reason not to buy a GVS now?

My current aiptek is fixed focus, so I cant use a wide angle adapter on it, I do have an adaptor that should work on the gvs though

My need is for in car recording, so wide angle is a must, I'm open to other HD brands, but it seems like the gvs is the one to have right now
mega72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:50 PM   #2

Whait for what? You can always for the next Model and for may a better Model. And whait and whait.

The GVS is a good Cam i like it, it is possible to mod a wideangle lens on it and makes great Videos.

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega72 View Post

My current aiptek is fixed focus, so I cant use a wide angle adapter on it, I do have an adaptor that should work on the gvs though

My need is for in car recording, so wide angle is a must, I'm open to other HD brands, but it seems like the gvs is the one to have right now
Welcome aboard mega72....

A wide angle lens can always be adapted to any cam, if fixed or focused. you are BETTER to add to a fixed ,rather a focused. I chose to pass on the Auto-focus, why Hunting.

If you are paitient i say hold off a few months, Aiptek must be releasing news soon. and so far its ___________] a graveyard with them.

its your decision. i say you cannot go wrong no mater what you do.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega72 View Post

Well as always it depends on your budget, there are always better camcorders out there if you have the money and as juggernaut says, you can always wait for the next best thing. The question is, does the current model do what you need it to do right now?

If you have a limited budget then you can do a lot worse than get the GVS. The video is quite impressive really for the price it is. Sure it has some minor flaws but then all camcorders do, some more than others.

The other part of the equation people with families need to consider is that your kids etc (if you have them) are getting older, so every day with no camcorder is a day lost! Better to get an imperfect one today than the perfect one next year...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:53 PM   #5

Let me rephrase, does aiptek have a replacement for the gvs in the works? Anyone know?

I have a wide angle adaptor for my aiptek on order, so I'll try that on the one I have
mega72a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Let me rephrase, does aiptek have a replacement for the gvs in the works? Anyone know?
How long is a piece of string?

If you don't need it now then wait but who knows and of course the current GVS is a least 'proven'. Sometimes new models have bugs or problems that don't show up straight away.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:56 PM   #7

No rush right now, if I can get the wide angle to work on my fixed focus a-hd+

I have a wide angle adapter that will work on the gvs (wont work on the a-hd+ it's all blurry) when I do go to a better camcorder

At least the wide angle lens also works on my canon zr80

Now if I can just find a window vacuum mount that fits my car & the aiptek better
mega72a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:14 AM   #8

25mm widea angle lens will work.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote