Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:33 PM   #1

Default GVS vs H20 vs New Praktica 5.4 HDMI

Hy guys.

I'm torn between these modells.

I must specify that I see there is a new version of Praktica DVC 5.4 FHD to match Aiptek H5. It is now called Praktica DVC 5.4 HDMI and the specs match those of H5, specs HERE The differences from the Praktica 5.4 FHD model are 12mpix still images, increased shutter speed to 1/2000 from 1/1500, HDMI output and internal memory upgraded to 128MB from 32MB. Does not say anything about 1080p resolution if it is actually 1920x1080 or it is 1440x1080. Considering the similarity of the specs....

From the samples i have gathered, i like the colours of Toshiba Camileo H20....Considering that the new Praktica 5.4 HDMI is very new, i coudn't get any samples but some low quality youtube posts.

I have a hunch that the new praktica shoots real 1920x1080 like the Aiptek H5 Extreme.

Much appreciate.
hellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2

The Praktica 5.4 HDMI seems to be just a refined 5.4. If it would do 1920x1080, they'd use it in advertisement, just like Aiptek does. The Aiptek H5 has no image stabilzation (though it seems to produce quite smooth clips compared to for example the Praktica 5.2).

The Toshiba Camileo H20 is similar to the Praktica 5.2. See my review of that camera in this forum.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:20 PM   #3

Well, it seems the new HDMI Praktica shoots real 1920x1080. Se here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_5uqtRcv8
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:51 PM   #4

I remember the Praktica name when they used to do film cameras. I still have a Praktica MTL 50 gathering dust! It was a bargain when I bought it brand new in the late 80's. Great Camera for it's price.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
I remember the Praktica name when they used to do film cameras. I still have a Praktica MTL 50 gathering dust! It was a bargain when I bought it brand new in the late 80's. Great Camera for it's price.
Yeah, i know what you're talking about. Old Pentacon glass is still very appreciated between serious/enthusiast photographers and some lenses are sold at ridiculous high amounts even today as they are perfectly usable on todays modern DSLR's.

Unfortunately, nowdays Praktica/Pentacon consists only in a brand which is owned by a huge chinese electronics corporation.
Anyway, i'm trying to get hold of some out-of-camera samples, for 169 euros it's quite hard to go wrong on this.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrider View Post
Unfortunately, nowdays Praktica/Pentacon consists only in a brand which is owned by a huge chinese electronics corporation.
I had noticed this as well. The same of course applies to Polaroid, only they now slap the name on non camera related products such as TV's, DVD players and Digital Photo Frames now. Does Praktica also do this?

I guess the assumption is that using a former well known brand name, even on products they never used to sell, increases their attractiveness to consumers by capitalizing on the trust built up through the years. I assume this plays on the fact that most consumers probably have no idea that the 'real' Polaroid no longer exists.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote